PDA

View Full Version : the perfect rolled lip

Sandy Dukeshire
04-14-2012, 08:07 AM
i'm looking to make some work with rolled lips. my thought is this will be a nice detail, and it will be something that can be done solo in place of a lip wrap. my questions are about set up and exexecution. in the end, my vision is to have a nice roll, with the raw edge tucked up and outta sight. the piece will be a squat bowlish shape. do i start with a smaller opening and roll the lip winding up with the larger opening i'm going for? or go wide at the start leaving an edge to roll? attached are some drawings to help you see what i mean.
thanks, sandy

Cecil McKenzie
04-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Lino makes a rolled lip like that in "Masters of Murano" a video about Italian glass. You might find this on line. Good luck.

Cecil McKenzie
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
It is on the net http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNu8qoTREFk

Eben Horton
04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
make a very tapered jack line thats jacked down pretty tight. After you punty the piece, jet only the lip hot and quickly flare the lip.. Dont open it. Theres a difference. Flare the lip and then in one motion, go from flaring the lip to flattening the lip onto the shoulder of the piece with the backs of your jacks in one shot.. Reheat, then open the lip. You want to fold the lip with the opening as small as possible.

Sandy Dukeshire
04-14-2012, 01:29 PM
thank you Eben. your description is exactly how Lino did it, so i guess he listened when you told him how to do it.

and thank you Cecil. if anyone else wants to see the master perform this little miracle its at 5:00.

got to love youtube! to see how its done is GREAT - and wow - Lino looks so young!

Ben David
04-15-2012, 01:20 AM
make a very tapered jack line thats jacked down pretty tight. After you punty the piece, jet only the lip hot and quickly flare the lip.. Dont open it. Theres a difference. Flare the lip and then in one motion, go from flaring the lip to flattening the lip onto the shoulder of the piece with the backs of your jacks in one shot.. Reheat, then open the lip. You want to fold the lip with the opening as small as possible.

OK - the video of Lino starts after crackoff and reheat.

Eben - what do you mean by "tapered jack line" - I should tilt my jacks to thin out the glass? In other words - a jackline "spread out" on the piece instead of cutting in at one point?

I also understand "flare don't open" to mean - "don't pull the whole lip/neck out even with the vessel wall, just angle the jacks out at the lip only, at its current diameter". Yes?

Thanks -
Ben David

Sandy Dukeshire
04-15-2012, 02:13 PM
i tried this today. to me a tapered jackline ment make a cone shape. problem was, i got more than the lip hot so when making the move i was collapsing the shoulder as well. so i ran the jack tips inside to get things in order and try again when !!!!!!!! :) ACTUALLY.... that flared lip was REALLY what i was looking for but didnt know it!! YAY!! it gave me the perfect little ditch to torch on my little flowers and such - hiding ALL the gooey glue bit areas. the rolled lip would not have done such a nice job, but i do still want to try it again soon because its pretty. big WHOOT WHOOT!! gosh, i just love glass..:) the little thing i made today is just beautiful.

Franklin Sankar
04-15-2012, 03:13 PM
How do you solve the shoulder over heating/getting soft on a small piece. I find it almost impossible at this time. Need 9000 hrs more practice if it is possible.
Franklin

Ed Pennebaker
04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I do like Eben says and have a fairly small jack line tapered to the shoulders. But when I reheat on the punty I get the whole top hot to the shoulder and the top actually starts to flatten out to the jack line. Then flare the lip starting with the jacks tips up. As the lip is flared the jacks roll up until the tip is pointing down and the jack tips are pressing on the inside of the bowl at the bottom of the hole while the upper part of the jacks are pushing the lip against the shoulder of the bowl at the top. Has to be done very hot and in one smooth motion. You will have a shallow closed top bowl at this point, reheat to open up and flare if desired. If you don't get the lip attached all the way around there will be a difference in thickness in the lip where it melts back when it is reheated.

Ben Solwitz
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Bill recommends squeezing it with a blade on each side after you fold it, to make sure it is sealed all the way around. You have to turn and apply pressure evenly or you will mark it up.

Andrew Boatman
04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
if you have a helper and the wooden parchofi jacks they can go on the inside of the piece as you are on the outside. They press up keeping the shoulder from moving in too deeply.

Eben Horton
04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
OK - the video of Lino starts after crackoff and reheat.

Eben - what do you mean by "tapered jack line" - I should tilt my jacks to thin out the glass? In other words - a jackline "spread out" on the piece instead of cutting in at one point?

I also understand "flare don't open" to mean - "don't pull the whole lip/neck out even with the vessel wall, just angle the jacks out at the lip only, at its current diameter". Yes?

Thanks -
Ben David
yes.. you are understanding me.. tilt those jacks to a 45° angle.

Once you have it down, making a folded lip is a thoughtless process. it just happens. The same goes for folded lips on blown feet.