PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your "garbage" glass?

Lia Howe
04-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I now have a few buckets of unusable glass. YOu know from the pipe bucket, with scale in it. Mixed colours and such. What do you do with yours. I don't want to use it in my furnace( I have already pulled out all the clear and clean glass from the "garbage") I make a lot of paperweights soooo I want clean and clear glass. So what do you do?Lia

Ray Laubs
04-14-2012, 07:50 PM
when the pot is due for changing, fill it with junk and itll turn blue. depeneding on how much color etc, depends on how dark it gets. Use it to make massive blue glass things that eat up the glass, do expect to see striations, chords etc..

Pete VanderLaan
04-15-2012, 01:13 AM
I take mine to the recycle bin at the town dump

Rollin Karg
04-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Mine gets picked over by various Fusers and jewelry makers and the rest goes to the dump.

Victor Chiarizia
04-15-2012, 06:43 AM
fill for the back yard. has great drainage.v

Lawrence Ruskin
04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Yep,I build gardens out of it, fill holes in the backyard.

Now I'm filling holes in the neighbor's yard.

I recycle 'till it turns blue then dump it.

Eben Horton
04-15-2012, 09:30 AM
A concrete countertop maker takes every ounce of my scrap. Its awesome.

Lawrence Ruskin
04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Can you see the glass embedded in the concrete?

Henry Halem
04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Concrete/glass countertops are very beautiful. After they cast the sheet it is polished out. The glass inclusions are stunning. If you go to Corning I recommend you take a tour of the corporate headquarters, specifically the Therman Statom installation. He had faux marble/glass benches cast. He put decorative canes in the matrix and when polished out the interior of the canes was revealed. Quite stunning.

Pete VanderLaan
04-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I went and reread the title of the thread. Some days I think I price the stuff and send it customers.Some days are better.

Franklin Sankar
04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
see Deuteronomy 24: 20
Franklin

Eben Horton
04-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Can you see the glass embedded in the concrete?

yes. just as Henry describes.

Tom Clifton
04-15-2012, 04:36 PM
see Deuteronomy 24: 20

I thought you had coconut trees down there...

Greg Vriethoff
04-16-2012, 03:14 AM
The combination of glass or stone chips in a binder (concrete or epoxy) that's ground and polished is called "terrazzo" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrazzo).

Lia Howe
04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I gots 32 acres. I am sure I can find a hole to fill. Asked at the dump, they won't recycle it because its hard to pick up ( little shards) They won't even take stained glass scraps. They say that they are enviromentally hazardous. Lia

Greg Vriethoff
04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I had a brief stint on a company softball team about twenty years ago.

Broken bottles in the outfield were a concern when one would dive for a line-drive.

Would that qualify as "environmentally hazardous?"

Josh Bernbaum
04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
A concrete countertop maker takes every ounce of my scrap. Its awesome.

Is this un-annealed glass that they are putting in the countertops?

Lia Howe
04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Greg, did you "guys" leave the bottles in the outfield? I know when I played with my Dad's company softball team if you didn't drink and play ball it didn't count. We considered the ""debree" (SP) in the outfield just increased the level of difficulty.Lia

Greg Vriethoff
04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Greg, did you "guys" leave the bottles in the outfield? I know when I played with my Dad's company softball team if you didn't drink and play ball it didn't count. We considered the ""debree" (SP) in the outfield just increased the level of difficulty.Lia
Actually, ours was one of several company teams. We were in a league that played at a commercial, managed facility (http://twin-creeks.com/home.htm) just around the corner from my work. Glass containers were not permitted anywhere on the property, and alcohol was not allowed anywhere outside the snack bar/clubhouse thing.

The only time I worried about glass on the field was when we'd have practice at a public park.

The whole thing was far too serious for me. These guys (yes, there were men's and women's leagues) were out for a trophy. I just wanted to have fun. Our inaugural season I cost the team our only win. The game was in the bag and I did something stupid. I wasn't on the team the next season. I'm not very good at sports (especially team ones).

That's a real bummer memory, and I'm sorry I brought it up now.

Scott Novota
04-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Please if that was the only win for the season then you did the most minimal damage possible to the long term outcome of that season.

What a bunch of seriously overly serious people.

Joe Pfeifer
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I have seen people selling it by the pound, or by the flat rate box on ebay.

Andrew Boatman
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
A couple of fellows pick up all our scrap and make countertops too.
http://www.riversedgecountertops.com/Riversedgecountertops/Recycled_Glass_.html

Rich Samuel
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Got mulch?

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2012/04/turning-beer-bottles-garden-mulch/1812/

Eben Horton
04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Got mulch?

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2012/04/turning-beer-bottles-garden-mulch/1812/

got silicosis?

Rosanna Gusler
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
our county does that and gives the glass gravel away. we have lots of glittery driveways here. i am going to get some to fluff up my veg garden. cool stuff. rosanna