PDA

View Full Version : Appraisers

Mark Rosenbaum
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know of a good appraiser for glass? I keep getting people calling who think that just because I blow glass, I can tell the value of all things glass ;^)
Today's caller had a piece from Murano that they wanted me to price....

Scott Novota
04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Interesting Mark I get that quite a bit as well. Last month was a glass roster that must have been about 3 feet tall from Murano.

It was a massive thing but ugly as sin with a broken tail. "But I have the tail so don't consider that as lowering the value. I was also wondering if you could weld it back on for us."

I would be interested in a number to someone like this as well. I have enough problems with my own glass prices.

Pringle Teetor
04-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Neal Auction in New Orleans.

Jeff Thompson
04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm looking for an appraisal company to price my current work. I've heard about companies that will take a new body of work from a painter and set prices based on the judgment of a panel of professional arty people. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I am curious to have my sculptures priced by a third party mostly because I feel like I'm under-pricing my larger works.

Tom Fuhrman
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
There has been a group of galleries that attend the GAS conferences and will assess/critique your art and if you're good enough will many times make deals to represent individual artists. But also be prepared to take a lot of criticism. It's their artists portfolio review sessions and they work in 10-15 minute time slots. Anyone signed up for the conference can sign up for a time. This year it's Fri. from 1-4 PM.
not real appraisal but gives students and others an idea of what their work may sell for at some galleries around the country.

Tom Fuhrman
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
for Murano and other contemporary works you can get a subscription to www.Worthpoint/com that lists auction prices for many auctions from around the world for the last 5-8 years. you can also see what many other items are actually selling for on some other auction sites. It's amazing what's coming up at some of these auctions and how little and how much some items actaully sell for. I think this is one of the sites that the Antiques Road Show refers to a lot. There are quite a few out there like this.
And if the people coming into your shop are like the ones coming into mine, they want appraisals but don't want to pay anything for them. If so, I just gives them a dart board and tell them to throw a dart and where it lands, that's what it's worth. Everybody wants lots of special advise but no one wants to pay for it. I.E. most get what they pay for.
There are also some other glass discussion forums around the world that have a lot of activity but few deal with values, but will help with identification.

Alexander Adams
04-16-2012, 03:27 PM
William Warmus does appraisals for glass. When I did an on sight inspection for him last year, I got the feeling that he specialized in the genre/era of "American Studio Glass Movement" and probably stopping somewhere around 2000. ( I was sent on mission to witness where art goes to die when an elderly owner downsizes and gifts the work to a 4th rate university's library. Probably one of the more depressing things I have done in a long time.)

For antiques and older imports I would find someone local at a "reputable" auction house who will do what most appraisers do, which is look in books and check auction records. You could probably get credentialed or certification and become an overnight expert.

Pete VanderLaan
04-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Alex, your ascerbic approach is something I always love reading

Tom Clifton
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Alex, your ascerbic approach is something I always love reading
Pete - I horripilate every time somebody uses a word like ascerbic.

Pete VanderLaan
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Get used to it. I'm a closet literate and Alex posts great stuff.

Eben Horton
04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
alex, your ascerbic approach is something i always love reading

x2 !!!!!!!

Tom Clifton
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm a closet literate

Me too.. One reason I enjoy Dickens is the arcane language and liberal use of obsolete words.