PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Molds

Lawrence Duckworth
04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I finally got the 4"x16pt. brass mold the other day I ordered back in November, and wow what a difference compared to the craftsman 1-1/4" deep well 12 pt. socket I've been using for pumpkin stems. so now I've been eye balling some of the big pumpkin molds and was wondering if any of you other pumpkin heads think they're worth the big bucks? I've been using homemade fin molds with purdy good results. whats your favorite mold for Pumpkins? :)

btw, nice story about your grandfather working the Titanic Pete

http://emperorsglass.com/peg-board.html about 280lbs each. Sunday was 100th anniversary

Jeff Thompson
04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/default.aspx?cID=54&pID=782

This is my favorite tooth shape for pumpkins, although this mold I've linked to is a little different than the one I'm used too: mine is 8" tall and has a curved interior profile (results in a bullet shape). The one I linked to is 12" tall and seems to have straight walled interior profile.

Pete VanderLaan
04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
btw, nice story about your grandfather working the Titanic Pete

http://emperorsglass.com/peg-board.html about 280lbs each. Sunday was 100th anniversary

★***************
Scott Benefield is sending me a T shirt after my stay with him in Belfast at the beginning of the month. The shirt says

"It was all right when it left here."

Lawrence Duckworth
04-17-2012, 05:14 PM
hey Jeff...Of all the pumpkin molds they have, that's the one I was eye balling. :)
the molds I made have an inch and a half open bottom with straight sides.... i might try and make a finn type closed bottom w/ a curved profile and play around with that first.

...I'll bet that mold you have makes a pretty pumpkin.

T shirt sounds cool....how bout one that says "What the Hell is Third Class"

Jeff Thompson
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Well it works pretty good but is a different effect than a fin mold. It ends up being more of an optical effect in the pumpkin, whereas I believe the fin mold will tend to give a very bulbous segments.

Lawrence Duckworth
04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
hmm...while searching around looking for a bullet shaped mold like yours, I came across a homemade mold that looks to be eight semi circles made from 1/4 steel rods, might take a good bit of practice to get it to blow out right though.

here's a photo of a pumpkin display out front of the local Home Depot i took last fall, it's the bubbly squash look I'm after.

Scott Novota
04-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Go with the fin mold. The enclosed 1/2 spheres will just limit your blow out. It is a little more difficult but you will like the results better.

With your metal working skills you should just kick one out yourself.

Here is an example of one up close which is what I think you are going for that a friend snapped a couple months ago after it came out of the annealer. It is about the size of a soccerball.

Can't seem to upload and image today from work so here is the url.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqcfimBOpo1qcz3nqo1_500.png

Here is the same pumpkin but with a quicky iphone picture...amazing what a good camera will do...the iphone just washed out the red....but you get the idea on the shape.

http://imgur.com/5f9e8

Lawrence Duckworth
04-20-2012, 06:13 PM
That's it Scott. I get what you say about restricting the bulge, even if its bullet shaped.

So...does this require the pumpkin to be puntied and then the pipe side becomes the bottom, and can you do this without help?

Thanks for your input. Great stuff!

Pete VanderLaan
04-21-2012, 02:04 AM
At this point I suspect that a video on how to make pumpkins would probably sell quite briskly. It could be offered with my museum gift shop quality coffee table book "Pumpkins of the World, " as a bundled package sort of like the studio issue remakes that Dale does. There's a lttle drawer for the book, the pumpkin itself and the video exposing the great secrets behind the guild.

Scott Novota
04-21-2012, 02:23 AM
I could make that happen.

Pete VanderLaan
04-21-2012, 04:26 AM
We'll have lots of time to talk. Why are you up so late?

Travis Frink
04-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Eben's video deserves a place in this conversation if not in the collection.

Pete VanderLaan
04-21-2012, 11:05 AM
You are absolutely right. Eben is TA 'ing for my color class so we will have ample time to discuss the finer points. I think having the T Shirt there would be in order as well. Mine has cerium stains on it.

Lawrence Duckworth
04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I could make that happen.

That would be great! I'd buy one. you shouldn't have to price them too high either,.... think volume!!

Pete VanderLaan
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
All you pumpkin people think volume. Pretty soon someone from China will think "Container ".

Lawrence Duckworth
04-21-2012, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=Pete VanderLaan;104667]All you pumpkin people think volume. Pretty soon someone from China will think "Container ".[/QUOTE

do the math man...20 BUCKS a pumpkin, even if only every other chinaman buys ONE!!...

Thomas Chapman
04-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Does everyone have their sacarsm detector turned on? Irony for sale.

Pete VanderLaan
04-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Sarcasm from me? No way! I do think Lawrence has the container/Chinaman sequence backwards though.

Travis Frink
04-22-2012, 04:54 AM
I do think Lawrence has the container/Chinaman sequence backwards though.

Maybe not so backwards (for long). I would cite the fact that an increasing percentage of Japanese rice, produce, etc. (which I consider to be quite expensive) is bound for China. Buying the world $1.99 at a time.

Even if only a small percentage can afford luxury, a small percent of a billion is still a lot.

Pete VanderLaan
04-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Travis I think what you say is true. China currently has a middle class of 350 Million people, or more than the total number of people in the USA. Even so, they have a very low paid work force as a rule. If they decide that making pumpkins is profitable, look out.

Dave Bross
04-23-2012, 06:22 AM
China pumpkins = Chumpkins