PDA

View Full Version : drainport/charge ?

David Russell
04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
I would like to do my next drainport clean out, which is overdue, at the end of the cook the next time I charge. Just before the squeeze is what i was thinking.

Would this be a good idea or bad? Would the temperature drop from opening the port for a while be too drastic on the pot? Would it squeeze to quickly with the open port and temps dropping already because of being post cook?

Would the pot full of hot, just cooked glass offer a source thermal of "protection"?

Why I ask this is, as the pot gets older i would like to bring it up in temp as little as possible and I thought this could potentially save me a ramp up to 2300 every so often....

Thanks in advance for any input.

Pete VanderLaan
04-20-2012, 09:02 AM
It is the best time to do it. You may have to get the plug glass hot with a torch unless it's pretty empty. Just leave the power on while you do it. You're not going to hurt the pot. The glass won't flow well unless it's been 2300F for some time. Maybe cullet flows better but the contact with the refractories tends to make that glass pretty stiff. Plan to make a rake to drag the glass out. It won't just flow. Also if there is a lot of glass, dress for the occasion and make sure to protect things near the drain that might melt or burn.

Kenny Pieper
04-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Be sure to protect the concrete under the drain. I usually shovel some gravel from the driveway under there and let the glass flow onto that. As Pete said you will need a rake to get most of the glass out. I have a 2" x 1/2" x 6' iron bar that I bent the last inch or so to a 90 angle for this.
Have fun!

Hugh Jenkins
04-20-2012, 02:03 PM
A metal sand box can be a good catch basin and keep the glass from flowing onto the floor. Hot glass in contact with cement, especially if there is any moisture (when isn't there?), can cause a very violent explosion and damage the slab forever.

Depending on how much glass is in there, this can be a non event or a what do I do now kind of thing. Best done with someone else helping!

David Russell
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
thanks kenny, hugh and pete! good tips all.

Peter Bowles
04-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Not sure if you are running electric or gas, but on a gas furnace I like to close the flue when I pull the plug so it can vent out of the plughole. It keeps the glass down there a little more compliant and reduces any potential to draw cold air through to the bottom of the pot.

Rich Federici
04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the gravel on the floor suggestion. We used sand on the floor this time and it went very well.