PDA

View Full Version : What will they taste next

Franklin Sankar
04-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Analytical wine tasting is impersonal and objective. Professional tasters and informed amateurs must agree on whether or not a wine is ripe, balanced, typical of its origin and a number of other criteria established by those who judge the wine.

Tasting, therefore, needs to be conducted with a systematic approach in order to analyse the technical components. Professional tasting is done under strict conditions, including identical glasses. ISO 3591, Sensory analysis - Wine tasting glass, provides a "common standard". Everybody uses the same type of glass to taste the wine. In a series of different glasses, the judgement would be very different. The ISO wine tasting glass is recommended by hundreds of professional wine tasters throughout the world.
Copied from the net
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Find a movie called "Bottle Shock ". Great movie on wine tasting and testing. It also features Severus Snape.

Franklin Sankar
04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
This is too much. A standard for the glass to taste wine?
The lost art of wine glass making.
Franklin

John Riepma
04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Well, I did go to a wine tasting event at Robert Mondavi a few years abck where they had us drink the same red wine from 3 different glasses. The taste when drunk from the white wine glass was very different from the taste of the same wine when drunk from the red wine glass, with a bigger opening in the top to allow your nose to get involved. The smell of something apparently has quite a bit to do with how things taste, which is why when you have a bad cold or are recovering from one your food tastes - um, not very good. There is something to this.

The other thing to this, and I say this coming from an industrial background, is the opportunity to have an ISO 9000 inspection for adherence to a certain process standard, which you pay for the privelege of having done. It's kind of a whole professionally sanctioned Mafia event - think UL, only with total disregard for the validity of what you're doing. You can be following a process that guarantees crappy results, as long as the documented process is followed perfectly the results don't matter. And here the auditors probably get to drink on the job, instead of at the hotel on the expense account. Sometimes irony is so ironic...

Mark Armstrong
04-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I hope this link works, interesting article in the magazine about glasses and tasting.

http://issuu.com/countygrapevine/docs/cgv_fall_online

Mark Armstrong
04-21-2012, 11:08 PM
article starts on page 37

Tom Fuhrman
05-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Reidel Glass has gone to the expense of having large stores on the cruise ships and offer seminars in selecting the proper glass for each type of wine and they sell tons of glass and wines this way. These wine bars/stores are very sophisticated and they have invested ungodly amounts of $ on this type of marketing. I think this is what has kept them in business for so long in a very competitive market. Their wine glasses are not cheap. I think they may have these same type of marketing stores in lots of other locations.

Henry Halem
05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Just happen to have this in my computer.

Franklin Sankar
05-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks Henry, i can see wine goblet sales going up now.
Franklin

Kenny Pieper
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Just happen to have this in my computer.

Wow Henry this is great. I remember this lecture. Claus had a slide with a huge drawing of a tong and it was all mapped out like you see of a side of beef only it was mapping all the different taste buds and what they were sensitive to.
I felt so bad for Claus cause when this slide came up the whole auditorium broak down in laughter. I have to say that I was one of the ones howling.