PDA

View Full Version : My Glass Odyssey

Geoff Lee
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Anybody hear about this documentary "My Glass Odyssey" or the guy John E. Waterman?

Any of you been interviewed by him for this project? He just contacted me.

Here's a link to his film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1444272/

I never heard of it

Dave Bross
04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
News to me.

I want to know who "Frito" is.

Mark Rosenbaum
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
In the dark recesses of my mind, I seem to remember this guy coming in to my studio. He said he had some experience, and wanted to take video of him working/helping at my bench. I can't remember if I let him or not.....probably not because I would have had some sort of documentation of it, but then again, my brain ain't what it used to be ....:confused:

Pete VanderLaan
04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
News to me.

I want to know who "Frito" is.
What? You've never heard of "Frito" Dreisbach?

Geoff Lee
04-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Frito is the dog I guess.

Barb Sanderson
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I was contacted a while back and something just screamed "scam" to me so I dismissed it and now it appears he actually did something. I don't know anymore than this. Frito huh.... gotta use that the next time I see Fritz out here!
Barb

Tom Clifton
04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Seems odd that one would spend $150k on making a documentary, but not be talking about sales and distribution rights. My Son-In-Law is working with a B movie producer making vampire, zombie and werewolf videos for distribution on Netflix. Not making a lot, but they always seem to have beer money and a good time doing it...

I did find the John Waterman blog (http://web.mac.com/omopinc/iWeb/Site/Blog%20/201A2196-5031-4E77-B905-3449961FD0A6.html) on the Fuse News (http://www.fusenews.net/?q=FuseNews+Issue+%231) web page.

Doug Chaussee
04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
He has been working on this "documentary" for about 5-6 years now. He came to the studio back then and spent some time with us and traveled around the country filming at various studios. His talent for glass was less than his film talent for sure. Nice guy. Frito is his dog that traveled with him on his journey. He really loves glass and has tried to get this film off the ground. Last I heard (a few years ago) he had an editor and possible lead for release of the film to some public broadcast outfit. One 15 year old student of mine was interviewed at length for the film and is now almost done with college and has a daughter, so I have to wonder how relevant any of his old stuff will be now. I am surprised to hear that he is back at it again.

Ted Trower
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
He's been talking about this project on Linkedin for a very long time now.

Pete VanderLaan
04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Seems odd that one would spend $150k on making a documentary, but not be talking about sales and distribution rights. My Son-In-Law is working with a B movie producer making vampire, zombie and werewolf videos for distribution on Netflix. Not making a lot, but they always seem to have beer money and a good time doing it...
If he exhumes Bela Lugosi the vampire ones will be sure hits.

James Ennis
04-24-2012, 12:32 PM
he was a nice guy when we met him a wile back.

Dave Bross
04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey, be happy we've still got enough interest going to have groupies.

Becky Hamm
07-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Hey,

Saw this thread and thought I'd put in my two cents.

John Waterman is a pretty cool guy (definitely not a scammer). I didn't know him until he contacted me to make a website for the film. But like Doug said earlier in the thread, he really does love glass art and wants the whole world to know about the artform.

He's got a full-time job (not in the movie industry), and funded the whole thing with his own money, which is why it took a while for everything to get finished up.

The film has won 2 awards at film festivals so far this year and he is constantly thanking the artist community for making it all possible.

As someone who didn't know anything about glass going into this, I personally think the film is great. There's an extended trailer on the website in case anybody wants to check it out: http://www.myglassodyssey.com/

And yes, Frito is his Jack Russell Terrier.

Greg Vriethoff
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
He came to the studio I was working at in LA sometime around '06-'07. I was suspicious at first, but it became apparent very quickly that he was going through a lot of trouble for this, so I could tell he was passionate about his subject, if nothing else.

He interviewed the three of us as a group, and then I recall doing something one-on-one with him explaining the cold working and acid polishing process we had going. It was all rather awkward 'cause it was unscripted.

One of my coworkers got suspicious when he came in to use the blow time that was his payment. He needed every tool imaginable, and asked to use all manner of color. Seemed odd that someone with as much interest in glass blowing didn't have even a basic set of hand tools. Then there was all the packing material to ship his finished work back home (which wasn't all that much). In the end it seemed like a reasonable exchange to me.

He kept in touch with us, and gave us a few status updates. Our stuff didn't make the final cut. I found out about the finished movie through imdb as well. Probably for the best. Shop no longer exists, and we weren't all that exciting anyway.

If you have the chance to work with him I'd say go for it. He's on the level, and it's at least a chance for some exposure.

I don't remember the dog.

Doug Chaussee
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
John has given me a copy of his video and I found it to be very well done and a pleasure to watch. Many of the interviews were timeless and relevant to what we do everyday. He has taken great pains to accurately reflect studio life and reflect the wide range of talent we have working in this field. We too, didn't make the final cut but I did get honorable mention in the end credits :)