PDA

View Full Version : Safety Procedures

Rick Sherbert
04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Everyone,

Our CEO here at the art center is a former military guy. He wants SOP's for everything. He's asked me for safety SOP's for the glass program. And while I'm not quite sure what he wants beyond " Don't stick your head in the furnace", I thought I would try not to re-invent the wheel.

Do any of you who are associated with an art center or university have access to or information regarding Standard Operating Procedures for safety in a glass shop? We have a hot shop, flameworking studio, kiln room, cold shop, artist studios.

Seriously though, I get some of it. Wear your respirator, safety glasses, proper clothing that kind of stuff. Even though the fire marshall loves us, he's a bit nervous. I think something that another institution is using would help settle him.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Andrew Boatman
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
for in the Kiln-forming studio.

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/images/stories/bullseye/PDF/other_technical/kiln_glass_safety.pdf

Michael Mccain
04-26-2012, 02:07 PM
I run into that sort of thing a lot now- corporate glass. Usually when working with any material, we have to provide an Material Safety Data Sheet, submit it to human resources who checks some such federal guideline that tells us to wear a respirator and handle with gloves.
If you come up with an SOP for making art, I'd like to hear about it.

David Patchen
04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Here are some policies I wrote for both the hot and cold shops a few years ago. Hope this helps.

Cecil McKenzie
04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Good idea for a thread. When I could afford help the first thing I did with new people was show them how to shut gas and electric off in case of emergency.

No alcohol or tobacco is debatable but probably a good idea.

Operational CO meter.

Watch for trip hazards.

There is my contribution. I am interested in hearing more.

Lawrence Duckworth
04-26-2012, 06:11 PM
My Daughter does this sort of thing for a big company in Chicago and a couple times a quarter she comes down here to their Atlanta plant to do her safety stuff.

.....[you can just imagine how she harps on her o'l daddy bout safety.]

we were both having a good time together this past Christmas discovering the world of hot glass when I pulled a third gather out and started twirling the pipe like a baton, [cuz that's what I see 'em do on YouTube]...anyway she barks out that looks stupid dangerous just before it slipped out of my hand and goes twirling across the studio like a Russian Circus Acrobat and blows all to hell when crashes to the floor. although we both teared up laughing....you know she finally lectured me that that's Exactly what you don't want to do!!!

hope that helps.

Scott Novota
04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Lawrence,

If you ever get down around the Pensacola area we will have a hot glass lawn darts competition.

Lawrence Duckworth
04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
No thanks Scott, I need to keep working on my twirling.

Might try riding down there for your pumpkin fest though