PDA

View Full Version : What to do w/Manganese Oxide?

David Patchen
04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
I found a bottle of this stuff at the studio. I don't have any other chemicals or oxides. Is there anything interesting that can be done with it alone?

Pete VanderLaan
04-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Manganese oxide would not be common to where I'd have to think about its existence since it can be in so many states of valence but manganese dioxide certainly is, It makes a purple glass if it is a high potash base and a purply brown tone in a high soda glass. You can throw it into a pot of clear and quickly stir it in and it will release oxygen vigorously making a very foamy glass that Tiffany used as Lava glass. It's about impossible to work with solo and needs to have an underlayment good bubble free glass under it. The foam fumes really nicely. manganese as a dust should be avoided and can be toxic. Use a respirator.

David Patchen
04-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks. I checked the bottle and it says MnO2, so it is manganese dioxide.

Pete VanderLaan
04-30-2012, 05:33 AM
way back when, it was known as glassmakers soap since it marginally blocked the transmission of the blue green cast of iron contamination in clear melts. It sort of changed the greenish to a gray at about .05 percent. Eventually, Selenium and cobalt took over that role and they in turn were replaced by erbium.

It's very inexpensive stuff, I don't recall what I last paid for it but it was under .50 lb.

Richard Huntrods
04-30-2012, 01:00 PM
MnO2 used to be provided in kids chemistry sets. The experiment was one where you produced oxygen in some exothermic reaction which I have now quite forgotten. I do recall it was spectacular as far as youngsters were concerned. :-)

-R

Hugh Jenkins
04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Pertinent to the current discussion on opalescent glass, MnO2 can act as a great oxidizer and fining agent in phosphate opals. It does not have the reducing action that antimony has when the melt is cooling.

There are beautiful purples that can be made with manganese and small amounts of cobalt. Best in a potassium rich batch.

Pete VanderLaan
04-30-2012, 02:44 PM
MnO2 used to be provided in kids chemistry sets. The experiment was one where you produced oxygen in some exothermic reaction which I have now quite forgotten. I do recall it was spectacular as far as youngsters were concerned. :-)

-R
That was actually potassium permanganate (Kmn05), which when used as a crystal would burn violently if a drop of glycerine was put on a spoonful of it. It was a slow exothermic and worked nicely as a time delay fuse.

Cecil McKenzie
04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
If as a child you ever deconstructed a D cell battery the outer layer of black stuff is I believe a mixture on manganese dioxide and carbon .

Jordan Kube
04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
If as a child you ever deconstructed a D cell battery the outer layer of black stuff is I believe a mixture on manganese dioxide and carbon .

A good way to say "opened with a hammer".

David Patchen
04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
A good way to say "opened with a hammer".

I think I used dad's hack saw. Then the hammer. Then a screwdriver.

Jordan Kube
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I think I remember some combination like that. So disappointing after you got those things open.

David Patchen
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Breaking open a bunch of mercury relays from old thermostats and rolling the mercury around in your hand was much more fun. A bit of a pain when it rolled off the kitchen table and broke into a zillion pieces you had to try to clean up on the floor. Ahhh, the good ol' 70's.

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Breaking open a bunch of mercury relays from old thermostats and rolling the mercury around in your hand was much more fun. A bit of a pain when it rolled off the kitchen table and broke into a zillion pieces you had to try to clean up on the floor. Ahhh, the good ol' 70's.
If you did that today in a school, the whole school would be evacuated and a haz mat team called, really.

David Patchen
05-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I know! And I remember rolling that crap in around in my hand. Probably the reason why I'm not taller....or something.

Sandy Dukeshire
05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I think I used dad's hack saw. Then the hammer. Then a screwdriver.

birth of the tool fetish?

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Pro Magnon man....Walked upright but had a tool belt?:)

Richard Huntrods
05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Found it. MnO2 is used as a catalyst to crack H2O2 (peroxide) into O2 and water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifMSZNjJxg

Cheers,

-Richard

Rosanna Gusler
05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Found it. MnO2 is used as a catalyst to crack H2O2 (peroxide) into O2 and water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifMSZNjJxg

Cheers,

-Richard i usually use blood for that. rosanna