PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a hole

Brian Mazrim
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I've made this vase thats deeply carved and sandblasted. Just as I was finishing up blasting I went too deep and made a pinpoint little hole in the bottom of a groove. It can't easily be seen from the outside, but it is a bright little shaft of light on the inside. I'd like to block that light and make it water tight again so I'm hoping to discretely patch it with a mix of an epoxy and glass powder or something like that, but I'm not sure what to use. Any ideas?

Jeff Wright
04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sure you'll get lots of more appropriate answers. If it were mine just for display purposes and not for sale I'd put a small piece of tape (duct, electrical, etc.) that would block the light. You could mix some epoxy with a little dye and cover it. You could take a toothpick, color it black with a Sharpie, and break off the tip in the hole. Lots of things come to mind.

Reminds me of my college days when turning rental apartments back to the landlord. Small holes in the drywall were "patched" with toothpaste, which we occasionally had on hand.

Jeff Thompson
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
You can mix powdered glass colors into hxtal. hxtal is the only thing I would consider

Brian Mazrim
04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks, good to know. I think I'll try hxtal before the duct tape (no offence to Red Green).