PDA

View Full Version : Pete's Dense Black

Dane Gamble
04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm trying to find some bar stock in Pete's Dense Black. Spruce Pine is out of stock and so is Pete. Could be 4-6 months before they make anymore according to Mary Beth. Does anyone have any extra they would be willing to sell?

Kenny Pieper
04-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Well I make a very dense black. It it soft not duro like but very black. It is so chocked full of stuff it devitrifies easely. I would be willing to sell a bit.

Dane Gamble
04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Kenny - We are looking for a black that is both dense black in color and also stiff.

Jordan Kube
04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
What are you doing with it? I posted a nice black recipe awhile back that's good for threading and cane, not so much for overlays. If you have a place to melt it that is. It's probably something you could melt in a throw away crucible in a B.S. slapdash afternoon frax furnace. It's a Lino recipe but I don't think it's the same one they used to melt back in the day. It doesn't catch on fire so much.

S.A.F.F is copyrighted now, by the way.

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Dane, I have some chunks of it, just not rod or powder/frit form if that would help.

Those formulas are not that hard to melt, it's that they really ruin the pot. My pots are quite new now and I'm doing light colors. I am ordering up the stuff for the first color furnace and I can melt some in that.

What is S.A.F.F.?

Victor Chiarizia
05-01-2012, 07:17 AM
me too...i just got some orders with cane and need some of petes black. all my other cane is made with petes and need to keep it the same. of course...i also have orders that use silver opal and cobalt silver opal and have none.....you make it yet pete?? port salut looks like it's coming along nicely. v

Kenny Pieper
05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=Pete VanderLaan;
Those formulas are not that hard to melt, it's that they really ruin the pot. [/QUOTE]

Yea I came in this morning and the black that is suppose to be in the pot is on the floor of the furnace. Yuck!

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
If I can sell the whole pot, I'll consider making it up. I don't use it except for human hair size thread. It''s usually about 20KG or rod, maybe a little more if people are only using is as a thread or cane glass. Gathering color in the lower part of the pot is harder to do really cleanly. If there was demand for 40KG, there's a great attraction to making a second pot right away. It takes an unbelievable amount of clear glass to clean one of those pots. At least five loads. It's 68.00 per KG and I'm probably under pricing it at this point. I still would have to wait a few weeks to make it. I'm really behind with going to Athens and now dealing with my father's affairs in California.

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
me too...i just got some orders with cane and need some of petes black. all my other cane is made with petes and need to keep it the same. of course...i also have orders that use silver opal and cobalt silver opal and have none.....you make it yet pete?? port salut looks like it's coming along nicely. v
You have yet to tell me what you want Vic. I will melt all three of those since I need them in my own work. I do also still have the black chunks if it's an artglass emergency. My arteries love Port Salud.

Victor Chiarizia
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
doug's looking to get me by with his old stock. i only need 1 rod of each every now and then. we'll talk when you get back...i'm off to CT for my moms funeral. vic

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Seems like funerals are the thing to do this week. Sorry to hear it Vic. Come up if you like once you are in to the next stage of that.

Dane Gamble
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Pete - If you make another melt of Dense Black, we would be willing to take 6 kg's.
While we are waiting, can you describe the chunks of black that you do have? Approximate size?
Thanks

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Pete - If you make another melt of Dense Black, we would be willing to take 6 kg's.
While we are waiting, can you describe the chunks of black that you do have? Approximate size?
Thanks
Around the size of a small brownie. It's the glass that was ladled onto the marver and then chilled to prep it for the crusher. It ladles into a large pancake and then the pancake is shattered. I use them sometimes in a pinch if I want a few Ounces of black to make cane from. I don't have a lot, about a half of a five gallon bucket. I just offer it up in a pinch.

Dane Gamble
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Pete - We were lucky enough to locate 2 kilos from a person on Craftweb. That will hold us over for a month or two. If we really get in a pinch, we may contact you for some chunks. If it makes any difference, we will increase our commitment from 6 kilos to 10 kilos if it means you will produce it in the next month or so.

Pete VanderLaan
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
10 is a good start. We'll see if there are others.

Jeremy Griffith
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I would be interested in 3 kg of black. Also interested in another bar or two of silver opal and peach silver opal if you have them.

Jeremy G.

Thomas Chapman
05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Please add me to the list for 2 of the Black!