PDA

View Full Version : melting system 96 with moly furnace

Gordon Webster
05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I've been melting system 96 for about two years in my Stadleman furnace. I like the glass because it melts really nicely but it seems to gas of quite a bit and not just during charging. It has eaten away my door and around the gathering port. To the point where there is a substantial gap. I'm trying to decide if I should change glass after I recast the door. The biggest concern I have is since the gap has gotten larger there is a build up of residue on my windows in the shop in the winter. I have my exhaust on while charging and working but not at night. The furnace heats my building. Any suggestions?
Gord

Kenny Pieper
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Try Spruce Pine Batch

Jordan Kube
05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm going to do an analysis of the white condensate that stuff puts out. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Scott Novota
05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Gordon,

I can only offer the advice here from my limited perspective. I have used the original 96 nuggets and had the furnace eating gas off as you discribed as well.

I have used the premium nuggets from specturm and like the extended working time and the lack of gas off that is associated with the older nuggets. I have heard from others on this board that they have had some fit problems but I have not had any. That does not mean it is not happening mind you just that I have not experienced any fit problems as of yet.

Barb Sanderson
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I can echo Scott's comments as well. I switched from SP to Premium nuggets in December and have no complaints whatsoever. No gassing, no residue on windows, no deterioration on the sill or door, no fitting problems to date. Hope this helps!
Barb

Pete VanderLaan
05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm going to do an analysis of the white condensate that stuff puts out. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
It should be anhydrous borax ( mixed sodium and boron) and crystaline boric acid. It combines with moisture in the air as it comes out the door. You can infer it since it doesn't happen with SP87 or the premium nuggets. They contain no borax at all. Otherwise they are similar. Very corrosive , particularly on an unvented electric furnace. The door will need to be recast because it is going to get seriously inefficient. The front plate is being degraded as well. The passage brick areas should be checked too.