PDA

View Full Version : someone reliable to Sharpen scissors/shears

Terri Sigler
05-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I have Jim Moore scissors and diamond shears. I plan to mail them back to Jim to sharpen. Before I do so, is there anyone reliable who sharpens in the Penland area or even on the East Coast? In desperation, I attempted to sharpen them myself; however, I can tell I need a bit more practice perhaps starting with less expensive house-hold scissors. I will work on that over time. I need sharp tools much sooner than my skills meet "optimal" on the learning curve!

Jon Myers
05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I think you already have the answer... Jim has brought several pairs of ours back from the dead...That being said I would assume that a knife store in any fair sized city would be able to point you in the right direction. Look for the one that sells German knives... They are bought by people who are willing to pay premium and expect to have things done right(sharpening included), cost be damned. (as opposed to the stores that feature Dexter/Russell and that type of knife (who's owner is likely to be a chef and sharpens his/r own knife)

Pete VanderLaan
05-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I think you should just overnight them to Jim. Have him overnight them back. Buy a spare pair.

Dave Hilty
05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Ditto on Jim doing it. I was very happy with the results when I sent Diamonds & trim shears back. Well worth the price.

Greg Vriethoff
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes. Send them back to Jim. He'll even bring tools back to life that were not made by him (for a slightly higher fee, I think).

I'm always telling people to not take their shears to someone for repair that is not familiar with what we do. We have casting shears at my work that are Putsch/Meniconis, and it pisses me off to no end that everything has been done to them that you're NOT supposed to do when attempting repairs. They work like s**t now, and when I suggested sending a pair to Jim to see the results, I'm told "no, we have people for that."

Arrrgh!

Victor Chiarizia
05-13-2012, 08:53 AM
You can overnight them to me down the road. i'll hand deliver them in a few days. vic....20 miles from you :<}~

Pete VanderLaan
05-13-2012, 10:11 AM
...but they'll come back smelling of hooch and cheese.