PDA

View Full Version : Crucible question ll & lll

Michael Mattei
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
OK Pete, got my crucible breaking in on your firing schedule and it feels like waiting for Christmas when I was a little boy. Hard to believe I'll actually be rolling my own sheets in less than 2 days. One question about your advice was when I charge the crucible, is the cullet room temp? Or heated up?

Which leads me to my next fork in the road.

So, I've pretty much emptied the crucible, it's been at my working temp of around 2175. Now what do I do to prepare for the next go around?

IOW do I lower the temp to...what? to recharge? Or does this crucible stay in this temp range-around 2000-until I'm ready to stop...which brings me to my last question...

Let's say I want to stop and bring the crucible down to room temp, what should my ramp down firing schedule be?

Thanks again for your help.

Pete VanderLaan
05-14-2012, 02:59 PM
I really don't get it. First you say you're ramping up and waiting then you suddenly say you've emptied the crucible...
You can put cullet in at room temp or heated. One saves time but costs money.

Suddenly we're at a fork. Take it. If the pot is now empty and you want to make more glass, fill it. It should be hot when you fill it. This is a game of wash rinse repeat. When you are tired of it turn it off just make sure it's really empty. The action of the furnace will take it down at a reasonable rate, just don't open the door and admire anything.

Michael Mattei
05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I was just looking ahead and wondering what to do when I'd emptied the crucible-right now it's in the middle of your firing schedule, about 1200F.

Anyway, I understand your answers-sorry for these new to the game questions.

Pete VanderLaan
05-14-2012, 05:10 PM
when you've emptied the crucible, I highly recommend a beer.