PDA

View Full Version : Coe tv screen

Franklin Sankar
05-17-2012, 11:37 AM
It is in here somewhere. What is the guess on the coe of tv screens?
I add some Mno to it and it was nasty.
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Screens have a coating on them that would make them really undesirable in studio glass melting. I thought it was lead but I can't remember.

Steven O'Day
05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
CRT tubes are made up of several sections, each a different glass. The screen has a high barium content, the funnel parts lots of lead, up to 40%. The phosphor coating on the screen is full of cadmium and heavy metals.

Franklin Sankar
05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I cleaned out a few screen a year or so ago and melted it. I filled it with coke and left it for a few weeks . Put in some small stones, shook the hell out of it . Cracked it open and scrubed and washed it real good. I took all possible precautions because i felt that the coating was bad stuff. Face mask, gloves etc. I still have some pieces and would like to experiment some more rather than dump it. The manganese seem to do nothing at least the amount I added, maybe should add more. What else can i try? Is it okish to melt it, i mean the nasty stuff is embeded ? Right? It would not escape. Much.

From the last time i was surprised at how stiff it was, not as stiff as bottle but not soft. The lead did nothing. I want to blow it and use from the same pot so make it ompatible with itself, but some other color would be nice. Its grey and may eat my pot but i hope not.
So can you guess the coe just to relieve my curiosity.
Franklin

Dave Bross
05-18-2012, 06:37 AM
Guessing at COE is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Also, two different manufacturers may use two different glasses.

You would need to test it against known glasses to know. Even that would not be highly accurate due to the lead and the possibility of mixed types of glass in the tv glass.

From your results so far I wouldn't bother testing it any further. It doesn't sound very good given what is known so far.

Pete VanderLaan
05-18-2012, 06:42 AM
The way you describe cleaning it makes me nervous Franklin and I'm not faint of heart. I would find some other glass.

Tom Fuhrman
05-18-2012, 08:46 AM
quit wasting your time and energy on this. It's like trying to use recycled manure to make a breakfast cereal. yes it may be possible but why? and who cares? look under Corning and Owens Illinois history and y0u may get an idea of what the TV glass propereties as they were the 2 major producers of these for many years. Also a big difference between colored and black and white sets. many places these are actually considered hazarous waste and are dificult to dispose of.
motto: garbage in = garbage out

Franklin Sankar
05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
It makes me cry to dump glass but if it has to be done it has to be done.
I dont want to test Pete,s heart any more but it does sound interesting to say you blow up a TV screen.
Thanks