PDA

View Full Version : Investment opportunity

Anders Rydstedt
05-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Is this real?.. I mean really happening?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300713040493&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Pete VanderLaan
05-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Well interesting likely fraud at the least. Dale was living in Providence during the period of time he used blocks and he had stopped using them by 1972 after the Fulbright and only marvered. You couldn't find a block at RISD by then. The Seattle connection while tenuous at the time involved Pilchuck in its infancy and there wasn't anything but the Eye in Seattle. .

But that would be almost as hard to prove as to prove it wasn't Dale's. I have a piece he made while I was watching, with my feet up on the marver from 1972 and he wrote me a long letter inside of it with an engraving tool. Henry said it was probably worth a lot of money at this point. I would certainly hope more than a fake block. The handle is notable/

People will buy anything. It's not the first time I've seen blocks sold as something special. I think marketing the original water from the block bucket would be a good scam too.

Eben Horton
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
That is a blockhead block. id date it at around 2000-2004 judging by the handle style.

I am a block a-fish-e-a-nad0...

David Patchen
05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Look at the other Chihuly stuff he's selling--it looks like he went dumpster diving at the boathouse.

Greg Vriethoff
05-21-2012, 03:46 AM
When one of Dale's teams would rent time at the shop I worked at many of the tools and other consumables would be supplied by Chihuly Inc. (I assume). I would have to keep their stuff separate from the owner's tools and supplies. Often I would see things that had "Chihuly" written on them. So while it may be possible that this object was owned by Dale, it was most likely never even touched by him, but rather used by one of his production teams.

And I totally agree with Eben. Definitely a Blockhead tool. And the dates in the early aughts coincides with what I wrote above.

Pete VanderLaan
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I wrote to him and challenged the authenticity of his claim. Here's what he wrote back

"Thanks for your email and the information. I listed it that way because I thought that's what it was. I believe you and am revising the listing to reflect the information you have provided. Best regards,

John "

Ummm... I did look at the modification, ummmm.. well at least the price has been lowered. My observation is certainly not in the questions section.

Jeremy Griffith
05-22-2012, 01:47 PM
The worst part is people are actually buying these cracked and chipped dumpster finds for $500 to $800 that Chihuly has most likely never even seen before.