PDA

View Full Version : White comparable to Zimerman 74?

Brice Turnbull
05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi all.

Despite my personal appeals to God it appears that Zimmerman color is not going to surprise the world and restart production... I realize that most of you accepted this some time ago, but remember! It does not matter how long the journey takes, it is only important that you arrive with a pair of clean underwear in reserve. . . er. . .

Not sure I got that just right, but I think it's close.

Anyway, I did not locate a thread on what people found to work well in place of Z-74, so I am asking.

I've tried Kugler and Reichenbach. R-61 is the closest I've found, and the difference I am after is the slight softening of the borders of the pieces of frit I get with Z-74 when I keep heating it (yes, I said 'get'. I'm *sniff* going to use the last of the last of my size 2 frit today. Perhaps I should save one piece to encase in clear as a pendant to hang over the door to my studio.)

I haven't tried anything gaffer, and I haven't tried the R-610 yet. I do also like the reactions between Z-74 and silver bearing frits (like Zimmerman silver aqua and 641 gold brown for example), but I can probably survive without that effect as I've been weaning myself off of it for many moons now anyway.

Thanks,

Brice

Long Live Zimmerman!

Brice Turnbull
05-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Oh, and while I'm at it -

any ideas on a replacement for Z-651 copper ruby? It's a brilliant red with transmitted light, and I can also tease out perhaps 5 shades of red from one piece of frit on a good day, and I really like to use that gradation.

Barb Sanderson
05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Brice
There was a whole thread about copper ruby recently here:
http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=9045

Barb

Jordan Kube
05-22-2012, 01:09 AM
I really liked Z-74 for powder work. Haven't found anything else quite like it.

Brice Turnbull
05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Barb.

Have you tried the reds from Gaffer yet?

I've ordered samples of the most likely candidates I see and will try to remember and post the results here in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Jordan,
your note encouraged me to just go ahead and start trying Gaffer whites. I don't remember hearing anyone mention a good Z-74 replacement earlier, but thought I would check and see.

Cheers,
Brice

Rick Sherbert
05-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Brice,

I depend on the silver/white reaction for a lot of my lighting and found Gaffer enamel white (100 I think?) to give the most reaction of all the whites out there. Use to be Kugler but years ago they changed something and it stopped giving me the colors I wanted. Switched to Gaffer. Never did use Zim though...

Brice Turnbull
05-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks Rick! I'll try it.