PDA

View Full Version : Body Wrap Help

Andrew Boatman
06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
We have been working on the body wrap where the piece goes in the optic mold for lines. The body wrap is applied and then heated to have the wrap break and the color leaves the spotted color on the high spots.
We are having a deuce of a time getting the right effect. Not sure what we are missing.
The piece is not so hot it is moving. The body wrap is hot on the wrap. The piece goes in fairly quickly into the heat. It is just not splitting completely. Tried soft and hard color wraps. Tried colder and hotter on way back to GH for melt. I am stumped.
Tried searching for video but have not found one yet either.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Many thanks,
Andy

Pete VanderLaan
06-06-2012, 06:40 PM
try a finer diameter on the wrap glass. Put the piece directly in the flame in the gloryhole.

Barb Sanderson
06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
And it's much easier with softer colors like black or blue. Also as the color is heating in the glory hole you need to spin the piece as fast as possible to get the color to fly off as it heats up.
Barb

Dave Hilty
06-06-2012, 09:16 PM
My guess is that you don't have sufficient relief between the valley's & the peaks, in other words, nicely defined and crisp optic ridges on the parison before doing the wrap. And while you want enough heat before applying the wrap to not have it pop off when you get back to the glory hole, don't over-heat the piece, softening those nice high ridges before applying the wrap or you will loose the linear stretching of the wrap threads which you need to cause them to break.

If the ridges from the optic you are using are shallow the wrap will never stretch enough to part, leaving the snow on the peaks.

Rahman Anderson
06-06-2012, 10:14 PM
are you spinning it like a ****ing crack head on speed? turn it like you would never turn anything you wanted to hold onto. if you are not almost dropping it 'cause your hands are moving so fast you are not turning it fast enough.

Kenny Pieper
06-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Rahmans right it helps to turn fast.

Eben Horton
06-07-2012, 08:35 AM
ribbon burners suck for this technique..

a small round burner with direct flame contact at a high velocity is the best.

Andrew Boatman
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
We have been turning at a normal pace.
Thank you everyone for the info.
Eben, we do have ribbon burners. I did notice a good heat when we tried to heat it with the eclipse hand torch, but did not stay on it long enough and again a slow turn.

Pringle Teetor
06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
all of the above - soft colors and spin like the wind! This was a garden installation with DOTS!!

Joe Deanda
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Andrew I do this quite often, block your glass until its too cold to blow. Heat the snot out of it and then do the optic mold thing. You want a really hot skin so the glass really gets some good definition from the mold. Cool with compressed air until its stiff enough to spin like a whirling dervish without going off center. I use wheels clamped to a bench and have my partner "dog paddle" the pipe to spin really fast. Heat the ribbed gather about 15 seconds so the thread sticks well. Also heat the thread after marvering so its drippy hot. The more ribs you have the smaller thread you will use. When you heat it in the glory hole try to keep it in the flame and spin pretty fast so the thread slings out between the ribs. Sometimes I get a dog bone pattern instead of a dot pattern. Iv been doing some variations of that pattern lately with some cool results. Ill see if I can add a picture of a variation of this concept. Joe.. Tell aunt Connie I said hey !

Franklin Sankar
06-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Bear with me please, this one is new and as usual sounds like magic.
So why do you cool the glass then Heat the snot out of it . Why not heat it up from where you are?
When you add the thread does it not stick? so how come it flies out?
I have never seen this one before. IS it on utube?
Franklin

Scott Novota
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Franklin,

-snip-
Bear with me please, this one is new and as usual sounds like magic.
So why do you cool the glass then Heat the snot out of it . Why not heat it up from where you are?
-snip-

What you want is for the core to cool down so that it is stable and not moving. That way when you heat it in the gloryhole, it heats from the outside in, the outside gets ripping hot and moveable but the core stays a bit cooler and stable. IE> not moving around on you very much. This lets you spin it without it becoming off center when you are really spinning it around.

If you where to leave the core hot and get the outside hot as well you would have and mess on your hands as the whole thing spun off center.

-snip-
When you add the thread does it not stick? so how come it flies out?
-snip-

If you get the whole thing cold and then try to apply the wrap it will not stick well as a thin body wrap. It will go on then pop off. You need the surface of the piece to be hot enough that a cool thin body wrap will stick really well. So you torch the cold piece until the outside skin heats up enough for the body warp to stick well, but not so hot that it moves.

Then you heat the piece in the glory hole and you spin it until the wrap starts to bow outward where it is not stuck to the glass ridges. This will facilitate heating of the wrap as it gets away from the body of glass it is attached to as it also stretches. Then it will get hotest at the highpoints and come apart and retreat back to the ridge making the dot.

Franklin Sankar
06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks Scott, I hope they don,t come after you for letting out that secret. I am going into hiding now. I would never have guess that one , it is a good technique. How did they discover these clever tricks. Smart people.
It would be nice to see that one in slow motion.
Franklin .

Charles Friedman
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
This what was made the other day. Yellow over black Zipper wrap with Gold /brown interior.

Do what they said. get cold then hot, good ribs and spin like hell. Try different optic molds. for more or less ribs per inch.

Franklin Sankar
06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow Charles. That is neat and nice. Nice to also hear from you .
Franklin