PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Glass Chemistry Books

Adam Frus
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
I am looking for a used copy of Milos Volf's "A Chemical Guide to Glass" as well as the less enthusiastically suggested "Coloured Glasses" by Woldemar Weyl. I know that Joe Pfeifer sells a new copy of Volf's book, but I am sure that someone out there thought that they would just "love" to make their own colors and bought the books before realizing just how difficult the subject matter really is. If I'm talking about you, give me a hollar and a price. I would love to give your books a new home. Contact me through CraftWeb or at frusglass@gmail.com. Thank you.

Pete VanderLaan
10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Original copies of Volf from 1981 go for as much as $2500. If someone is selling off Joe's reprint, I'll be mildly surprised.

Adam Frus
10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey Pete,

In talking with you yesterday on the phone, I thought that I would at least give it a try. Even my own copy of Weyl would be nice instead of borrowing. If I can't find a copy here, I'll try to rendezvous with Joe this Thanksgiving while I am up in Utah. Thanks for the suggestion for Volf's book. I am excited to crack it open. Good luck with your upcoming color class too.

Pete VanderLaan
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Also, it's "A Chemical Approach to Glass", not guide.

Peter Bowles
10-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Amongst a whole host of other stuff, Weyl is available here..

http://www.societyofglasstechnology.org.uk/cgi-bin/open.cgi?page=publications&sessionid=1787112

Pete VanderLaan
10-30-2012, 07:30 AM
At 35 pounds, it's a lot cheaper than the prices you said that you saw Adam. It's a grey softbound book with tissue paper thin print. My hardbound is about 1/3 the size. I don't know how they made it so big.

Thanks Peter.