PDA

View Full Version : diamond, pineapple optic mold

Gabriel Cole
06-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I am looking for a bronze pineapple mold 6" preferably a Med Steinert. I know I can get a similar one now from OCR for $450. I was hoping to find a used and neglected one for less mullah. Any leads let me know. I am getting closer to the big spend and ordering one from OCR. The one I had for over ten years walked away. It was very sad experience, and I now have PTSD.

Eben Horton
06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Do you know about scott hegan'smolds?? Hobby glass. Cheaper than the rest.

Gabriel Cole
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Good to know Eben. checked it out. Same price of $450.

Scott Novota
06-03-2013, 04:22 PM
The ones from Steinert are not bronze and they are split molds that don't hold the geometry all the way to the bottom. I have used all three of the ones you are likely to find.

Steinert - split optic. - least favorite and not Bronze. Unless they have new ones I have not seen.

Hegan - Which is what OCR sells - very nice but they have a slightly wider profile. Not exactly sure how else to say that but the inside they are a bit different than the Dona's.

Carlo Dona - Spiral Arts - Big money but in this case they are cut a bit different and some people love that. The same size mold at the Hegan will run you twice as much or more in a Dona.

Kenny Pieper
06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Yep Carlo Dona's are pricy but in my view they are way the best. Not good to have a wide opening for good reasons and the Italians know this.

Gabriel Cole
06-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Steinert USED to make a bronze pineapple mold, that sold for under $300. They were really nice, but they stopped making them. I had one.. sniffles,. The split ones that they sell now are fairly useless imho.

So, now I am taking opinions into consideration, if I cant find a used one somewhere, I will be forced to buy new. I hear Kenny say Donna is the way to go. Any other thoughts? Heagans Looks like the old Steinerts. I have a line of bubble glass that I have been making for a decade, and I need a mold that is as close to what I had as possible. Thanks!

Gary Guydosh
06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Does it have to be a 6", I have an old Steinert SM I have from a long time ago. But it is only about 4" tall from the base.

Gabriel Cole
06-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi Gary, I would be very interested in the small mold. What would you like for it? Feel free to call me 802-752-6519.

Cecil McKenzie
06-12-2013, 08:46 PM
It was my understanding that Steinert sold those pineapple optics but did not make them and when whoever made them quit they were no longer available. Just what i heard. They are very nice to work with.

I have a split bubble optic from Steinert. It is not a pineapple optic. When blown out it has a design that looks like a hand grenade, varying sizes of squares rather than the diamonds from the pineapple. Like latitude and longitude lines. It is a cool pattern but the mold doesn't work well since the projections are too severe and when the mold is opened it harms the pattern at the mold seam. I have thought that if the mold was made in three equal parts rather than a half and two quarters the mold would probably work well. But that would take having three molds to start with and cutting the one half size piece down to one third and reattaching the hinges.

If anyone is familiar with this mold have you been able to use it successfully.

The other thing I have thought about doing with that optic is file down the points that are at the seams of the mold so that the points don,t disturb the pattern but just changes it some. I imagine that if I filed the point down it would make a square within a square design at the seam edges.

Gabriel Cole
06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Cecil, I also have a steinert split like yours. I find it to be a useless piece of crap. Only good for someone who is always getting stuck in the solid bronze type I suppose. I have also heard that same story about the steinert bronze molds so,.. it must be true! Still waiting to hear back from gary,.. Gary Guydosh did you want to sell that small 4"????

Eben Horton
06-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I have the full set of steinert bronze pinapple molds..

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:)

Gabriel Cole
06-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Not Funny at all, especially since we just saw the movie Purge. The premise is, one day a year people can purge themselves of anger and jealousy by killing people without retribution. But all I really want is my old pineapple mold back. Looking more and more like i'll be shelling out the $450. Eban Ill send you $350 cash for your med steinert. Don't make me Purge!

Eben Horton
06-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Ohhhh. Wait. I didn't know that there was a medium. I only have the small and the large.

Cecil McKenzie
06-14-2013, 06:55 PM
My little one says S and the larger one that I assumed to be a medium says LARGE. I think it is about 6 inches in height. So Eben may have the whole set. Scott Hegans look pretty nice in the pictures . Has anyone used his mold to see how it works ?

Scott Novota
06-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I have some of each. They work just like they should. The only difference that I can tell between them and the CDs has nothing to do with quality. Both are excellent and Scott has done a fine job with his.

The difference is in the inside profile. Scott Hegans seem a shade wider and just a shade different angle profile. This goes for the pinapple and the normal ridged optics. I suspect that it is just personal preference.

I like both sets but I use them often for different reasons. I find SH Pineapple a little easier to get out of but I personally like the CD pineapple for a specific cup that I make. I would guess it will come down to what you get familiar with.

David Patchen
06-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Do you find the same size mold by SH or CD have about the same number of points?

Scott Novota
06-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Eyeballing them they look very close.

Gabriel Cole
06-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I just talked with Scott Hegan and ordered his 6" bronze pineapple mold. Thanks everyone for all your input, advice, and torment. Eban I told Scott you sent me.

Eben Horton
06-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Nice. Scott makes some nice glass too.