PDA

View Full Version : cast iron antique block

Tom Fuhrman
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
in case anyone may be interested, I have just listed on e-bay an old cast iron block from the Rodefer Gleason Glass co. that I've been using the last 30 years and now have decided to selloff. others may be coming as the body is not up to doing much of this work anymore. THIS IS A BLOCK YOU'LL NEVER WEAR OUT.

e-baY ITEM # 231014004556

Scott Novota
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Well that is cool, I want it.

Pete VanderLaan
07-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Scott, you are at risk of getting on one of those reality programs about hoarding.

Mike McCain
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I'll trade you straight up for mine. It says TGC on the side.

Scott Novota
07-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Yea I have a small problem with that Pete.

Pete VanderLaan
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
and you never even got up to the second and third floors in the barn, let alone the loft or the basement. Therapy won't help.

Tom Fuhrman
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Yea I have a small problem with that Pete.

Trust me there's no cure, Scott, just take it and and go. Invest in an inexpensive warehouse, you'll need it and don't pass anything up. It's amazing what people want these days and also what they don't want. Sterling flatware and cut crystal are now sold for scrap and plastic robot toys from the 50's-60's are priceless. Just don't be as stupid as I was and try and move it all several times. My body has payed it's toll and somethings can't be fixed. but I enjoyed the "ride". When you get to buying multiple truckloads and warehouses full of stuff at one shot you know there's no return.

Scott Dunahee
07-12-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a bunch of Iron blocks in various sizes and I love them. There is a small learning curve and some people just don't like turning in a stationary block but I only EVER bought one set of wood blocks for my shop, which I ran for 5 years and the blocks were all in almost new shape to sell with the shop when I did that.

Wax the block!

BSD

Scott Novota
07-12-2013, 09:37 AM
It is interesting that the people bidding on this are not glassblowers. If you take a look at the history of there bids they are bottle and antique collecters.

Rich Samuel
07-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Scott, that happens a lot. Seems every time a seller has an odd-looking old tool with no obvious use, it gets called a glassblower's something-or-other. I know a few people who sell their burned-out blocks on eBay, always to antique collectors.

Gary Guydosh
07-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Should I put my old burned out molds on ebay? I have 4 or 5 of those blocks and set them in a pan of water and you are good to go for the day.

George Bland
07-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I ran it up to $140.00 and was outbid. Time for a different strategy!

Eben Horton
07-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Scott, that happens a lot. Seems every time a seller has an odd-looking old tool with no obvious use, it gets called a glassblower's something-or-other. I know a few people who sell their burned-out blocks on eBay, always to antique collectors.

Ohhh.. I got a pile of old blocks. :)

Mike McCain
07-14-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm jumping on the gravy train...

Ebay item # 300933411927

Its an old old old old optic mold

Mike McCain
07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm jumping on the gravy train...

Ebay item # 300933411927

Its an old old old old optic mold

Scott Novota
07-15-2013, 09:05 AM
damn you people. That thing is interesting. I don't need more stuff! Some of your other stuff is even more intersting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-iron-glassblowing-mold-Laurel-leaf-one-of-a-kind-/300933416602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461107869a#ht_116wt_1040

Scott Novota
07-17-2013, 04:15 PM
wow that cast iron block went for 200.00 + bucks. That is amazing.

Don't spend it all in one place Tom.

Starting to think that I will just cast a couple extra when I make one.

Pete VanderLaan
07-17-2013, 05:06 PM
We have a bunch of 12 inch ones in Shanghai. I never could quite understand them but there they are. Heavy heavy heavy...

Tom Fuhrman
07-17-2013, 07:03 PM
about 10 years ago I had a bunch of these made and sold them all. may have to consider having some more made. have quite a few smaller ones of different shapes. cost of new wood ones make these look more attractive. check out the 2 antique pieces I just listed on e-bay, mold and tool. Pete, 12"are huge and must be for gigantic stuff. I had AN 8" and never used it. I did sell an 18" sphere mold to Dale that he used in halves to make his Japanese float project. he lined them with wet newspapers.
Scott: need the $ to pay my car insurance and property taxes. never worked for anyone and artists don't make enough to have big IRA's and 401K's or even decent social security benefits. But we survive! It's been good, but old age is beginning to have it's challenges. watch for more stuff from downsizing.

Mike McCain
07-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Eric "the red" Dandurand lines a 15" stainless kitchen bowl with newspaper to block & blow his last gather. Its the first time I saw that, and it seemed so obvious to me at that moment- here I was trying to heft a 15 belgian block at the bench.

Sky Campbell
07-17-2013, 09:17 PM
I bought one of each size from Tom when he had them cast. I wonder if I throw one up on eBay now would I get that kind of money. Just kidding I better save them for my retirement fund!

Joking aside I've found them useful in a lot of my production. One lives next to the furnace and two have a good home by the glory. The largest one I used for 00 frit pick up. They have been good to me. Thanks Tom.

Pete VanderLaan
07-18-2013, 05:50 AM
I just have a big crucible broken in shipment on the floor lined with paper. That works fine.

Eben Horton
07-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Call me crazy but I rarely block my last gather on big pieces. I just spank it with a tagliol to get it into shape, then I marver it. I

Pete VanderLaan
07-18-2013, 07:52 AM
The Chinese all spanked the last gather with a tagliol. Then I taught them to marver. They don't do that spanking anymore.

David Patchen
07-19-2013, 02:18 AM
No spanking here on the last gather, just wet paper to push the final gather of goo where I want it, then off to the marver.

I often don't want the final gather evenly distributed over my bubble so blocking at this stage only makes life more difficult for me.

Dave Hilty
07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I often don't want the final gather evenly distributed over my bubble so blocking at this stage only makes life more difficult for me.

I never understood the secret weapon was already in my shop because I continued to just block and then shove the evenly distributed glass toward the bottom with the paper/pad. Stumbled on the efficiency of marvering first off with the last gather by doing some serious marver rollups of surface deco from the marver and "WOW" all the glass just wound up at the bottom. Duh.

The marver is your friend.

Greg Vriethoff
07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
The marver is your friend.

This is one of those truisms that should be emblazoned in gold in every shop.

Gravity is also your friend when distributing the final gather. On larger pieces this can be done while on the pipe cooler. You can eliminate the need to "slap" it or block/paper. A nice reheat (if necessary) and to the marver.

The glass talks to you. You just have to listen. It sounds corny, but it's true.