PDA

View Full Version : Diamond bandsaw blades

Sky Campbell
07-31-2013, 06:07 PM
I searched the archives and spent the day calling around.
I'm looking for a source for 93.5 x 1/4" blades.

The only supplier I have found for this size is Denver glass machinery. I'm sure they don't manufacture the blade themselves. I'm in the middle of a job that requires literally thousands of cuts that can only be achieved using a bandsaw. I will go thru some blades for this job and would love to find a better source with possible multi blade discounts.

Thanks for any help!

Pete VanderLaan
07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Did you try North Jersey Diamond?

Patrick Casanova
07-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Sky,
I have been pleased with the blades that I have gotten from these folks.

http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/band-saw-blades/diamond-tipped-band-saw-blade/doall-diamond-band-saw-blades

Sky Campbell
08-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks

I tried jersey diamond and although they don't normally sell bandsaw blades Mark said he would look into for me. Still it would be weeks out.

Bandsaw direct only sell 1/2" I really need 1/4" for this application.

George Vidas
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Are diamond bandsaw blades welded like normal metal/wood bandsaw blades?

Seems like the process would have to be slightly more precise to avoid having a bump or divot at the weld, since the diamond is more continuous and less textured than saw teeth.

But I wonder if there's somewhere that would sell a bunch of 1/4" diamond coil stock, and then you could take it to your local bandsaw guys and have them weld it for you.

Patrick Casanova
08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Sky,
I don't know of anyone that makes a 1/4" bandsaw blade. How thick a piece do you need to cut? And how many? I believe most Ring Saws only have a 1.5" throat height, and at that thickness I think it would be really slow going.

George... "some wheels are best left round!"

Tom Fuhrman
08-01-2013, 03:57 PM
have you tried www.kentsupplies.com they list a 94.1" X 1/3" for $146.

Hugh Jenkins
08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
www.ukam.com/diamond_band_saw_blades.htm

Pete VanderLaan
08-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Are diamond bandsaw blades welded like normal metal/wood bandsaw blades?

Seems like the process would have to be slightly more precise to avoid having a bump or divot at the weld, since the diamond is more continuous and less textured than saw teeth.

But I wonder if there's somewhere that would sell a bunch of 1/4" diamond coil stock, and then you could take it to your local bandsaw guys and have them weld it for you.
I would be inclined to try to remember that the goal here is to make glass with the limited time we have. It's easy to go off on tangents.

Tom Fuhrman
08-02-2013, 09:52 AM
I would be inclined to try to remember that the goal here is to make glass with the limited time we have. It's easy to go off on tangents.

That may be true for some but I am certain it has now become more critical just to survive and pay the bills than worrying about making glass. Life has changed for many of us that attempted to do this glass stuff as a full time lifetime endeavor and actually tried to make some "art". Some sell crucibles and some may want to make saw blades. I just want to keep paying my health insurance and avoid the pains that come with getting old. Glass making has become a real luxury.

Pete VanderLaan
08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't think having diamond saw blades made falls in the survival category. I do think that taking that time and making products that are pretty sure to sell . I think the observation about not rediscovering the wheel is on the money. Time is important and getting to use it blowing glass is even more so.

Sky Campbell
08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Well I ordered a blade from Denver glass. I'll let you know about quality later. It meets my requirements for now. It was $180

George the blades are pre welded then electroplated. It is the only way it works. I wish you could weld them as I have several new blades that are to long or old blades that have one chip in them.

For the record Denver has the blades and Mark from jersey diamond came back with a source for less money but weeks out before they are made.

Tom I tried them no such luck on my size. I considered a small riser block on the throat of the saw but more work that doesn't pay

Hugh I did originally look on there web page and didn't find what I needed. Called them after your post and yes they can but at $230 each I don't know if it's worth the extra dough.

Doug Randall
08-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Kingsley North has a 94" x 1/4" blade that fits the DL 7000 bandsaw. $125. on sale.

Sky Campbell
08-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks Doug. Even if I knew 94.25" blade would fit I still never would have found it there. Great price I'll order one on Monday and let you know what I think of the quality.

The Denver blade is .020 thick and is listed at 180 grit $179
The Kingsley blade is .026 and listed as 140 to 170 grit sale $125
Normal price of $184

I'm sure anyone selling a blade for a machine and doesn't list it as being American made will be an import. Quality is all over the board and I hate spending money on what may be garbage. That said next time around after these two blades die I'll bite the bullet and spend the extra money with Jersey diamond and see if the price is made up in quality. Mark at Jersey can deliver a blade at the thickness you want with the grit you want. Consistant grit size I'm sure will reduce chip out but maybe the varying size grit will speed up production. I'm lumping this all up as a learning process.

Pete VanderLaan
08-03-2013, 06:30 AM
The differences are hard to see in the ads. Diamond concentration per sq inch is really important and how the diamond is bonded to the metal- either resin or sinter metal bond. I don't actually know if Jersey makes a band saw blade but if they do you have to check out process either way. Either way it's a very useful thread and I'm going to move it to "classics" since it's such a persisting search.