PDA

View Full Version : New "Glass Gears" Optic Molds!

Joe Pfeifer
08-02-2013, 07:38 PM
"Glass Gears"

I am pleased to announce our brand new product line of aluminum machined Optic Molds. Please see the brochure here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qgr3r2yn9rs1ihl/UspGq-bckE

There will be new sizes and shapes coming! For a limited time, Craftweb users get $10 off each mold they buy. (This almost pays for shipping!). PayPal or Credit Card is fine. We can take orders now.

You can email me or call me as listed on the brochure.

You are welcome to make suggestions for sizes and designs, etc. This is just the start!

Rich Arentzen
08-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Looks Good!

Jacqueline Knight
08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
I would love to see some specs, like a profile drawing. It's hard to see what shape it is down there in the mold.

Lawrence Duckworth
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
:) Joe..I hope I got it right when I sent an email to..Joe@igneousglassworks.com....with c/c# and all the other goodies. I would like to hear back from you soon, thanks. :)

Joe Pfeifer
08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks! I am traveling by Yellowstone until Thursday. Will try and get some specs up soon.

David Patchen
08-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Nice! Since aluminum melts at 1221F, how will these hold up? Are they a higher temp alloy?

Scott Novota
08-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Are the Steinart molds not aluminum?

Pete VanderLaan
08-06-2013, 06:25 PM
The molds will be fine and won't melt. My issue is with the rounding of the fins. I would rather see better definition.

Rich Samuel
08-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Pete, would the high polish tend to make them "stickier?" I've never seen a shiny dip mold before.

Pete VanderLaan
08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
I would be really surprised to see them stick and that indeed would be bad. Field testing is always a good idea before putting something out for sale. My concern is having definition in the fins if someone is trying to do an overlay thread. As rounded as those are, I'm not sure if they would perform well in that capacity.

It is really good to see some competition in that particular biz however. Joe should be commended for doing it.

Joe Pfeifer
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM
If you will look at the Dropbox link again, you will see some drawings for the molds. Hope this helps.

Mike Hanson
08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Joe,
Are you planning on making any pineapple style molds? I would be interested in one or two of those.

Joe Pfeifer
08-09-2013, 11:54 AM
The plan is to at some point in time, do pineapple molds. They will need to be cast first, then machined. When we start casting, you will see some much larger optic molds available. (The reason is the amount of aluminum "waste" from a machining operation, vs casting). The finished product will be a tight tolerance machined piece. Stay tuned!

Perhaps some sort of survey should be done, showing interests, sizes, patterns, etc.

Pete VanderLaan
08-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Have the bottle making tool cast in bronze and then just retire on the proceeds.

Eben Horton
08-10-2013, 09:23 AM
The plan is to at some point in time, do pineapple molds. They will need to be cast first, then machined. When we start casting, you will see some much larger optic molds available. (The reason is the amount of aluminum "waste" from a machining operation, vs casting). The finished product will be a tight tolerance machined piece. Stay tuned!

Perhaps some sort of survey should be done, showing interests, sizes, patterns, etc.

I suggest using bronze for the pineapple mold. If someone gets a hot gather stuck in an aluminum pineapple mold, it will melt the tips of the diamonds.

Eben Horton
08-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Or should I say it "could" melt them.

Pete VanderLaan
08-10-2013, 11:55 AM
That's likely true. Also Bronze is simply a stronger metal. (Take note: Neaderthals never had a Bauxite Age)

Eben Horton
08-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Also if one gets stuck, they hav to chisel away the glass inside the mold. Aluminum won't hold up to that.

Scott Novota
08-11-2013, 04:08 PM
As someone that has done a decent amount of that "chiseling" you spoke of I can second that assertion.

John Van Koningsveld
08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
As someone that has done a decent amount of that "chiseling" you spoke of I can second that assertion.
Try an automatic center punch, a spring-loaded hand tool. You can get those suckers into some pretty tight spots.