CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   paperweight blocks (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11868)

Ron Schuster 02-11-2018 06:50 PM

paperweight blocks

With the passing of both Walter Evans and Gary Guydosh is there anyone else left making inexpensive blocks?

Eben Horton 02-11-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Schuster (Post 138463)
With the passing of both Walter Evans and Gary Guydosh is there anyone else left making inexpensive blocks?

Sweet water glass

Larry Cazes 02-12-2018 07:25 AM

I use graphite molds. Wondering why more dont?

Art Freas 02-12-2018 07:44 AM

Simple reason is beginners for us. Cheaper if they mess up or drop a wood block.

Pete VanderLaan 02-12-2018 08:28 AM

Art Reed <artlindareed@catskill.net>
Here's art.

Ron Schuster 02-12-2018 02:50 PM

paperweight blocks

Thanks Pete. I contacted Art. Nice guy.

Mark Rosenbaum 02-12-2018 04:09 PM

I wish that Art would have something on his site like maybe a picture or three of what type of block he makes....

Pete VanderLaan 02-12-2018 06:37 PM

Art is one of the classics. It is what it is. He may think he'll be discovered and it isn't true. He's one of the best and quite typical of our generation.

Embrace him. Call him.

Mark Rosenbaum 02-12-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 138493)
Art is one of the classics. It is what it is. He may think he'll be discovered and it isn't true. He's one of the best and quite typical of our generation.

Embrace him. Call him.

I met him ages ago when I was at Tyler. IIRC, we had a field trip to his shop. I'll call him the next time I need a block.
As an aside, I had an elderly gentleman come in my shop last week and said that he used to make molds for some blowing factories out of bronze and some out of wood. He said that he would make some for free if he could just hang around the studio sometimes....He also made aluminum molds and was asking why people did not use aluminum blocks like they did bronze ones. Is it because they could not be seasoned right? Or could distort in the temp?

Pete VanderLaan 02-12-2018 07:37 PM

without addressing the things you bring to the table, Art was one of the wunderkind from the early seventies. He made a line of glass which absolutely celebrated the Jersey style of glass so celebrated in the "Glass Gaffers of New Jersey " by Adelle Pepper, a cataloging I continue to cherish as the small shops trekked across New Jersey, into Pennsylvania and ultimately into eastern Ohio when the timber quit. It's a remarkable journey and I encourage anyone who simply thinks they owe their soul to Italy to take a serious look at this book. It's been out of print now long over 30 years always in the shadow of the big coffee table stuff but Jeez, it's beautiful.

We all did these show together back in the early eighties and Art was always there with this incredible clean line of clear glass celebrating the jersey style so well. It was never the rage but it was always out there to be stunned by.
So now, Art still makes glass and has found a tiny niche making blocks and molds. He's my age, a dinosaur and jeez I love what he brings to the table. Get it while you can. We're all disappearing. Art's the very last.

Marc Carmen 02-12-2018 09:16 PM

Just checked out Art Reed's work and wow. Didn't realize any studio blowers did the American tableware style so well. I then went right ahead and ordered a copy of "Glass Gaffers of NJ".

To Ron or anyone else- I'd very much appreciate it if you posted a pic of the blocks, thanks.

Andrew Boatman 02-13-2018 08:17 AM

SweetWater

Hot Glass Color has swedish style SweetWater blocks posted on their site.
http://hotglasscolor.com/sweetwater.aspx

Josh Bernbaum 02-13-2018 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not the best photo, sorry, but here's one of Art's round blocks.
I bought three from him a few months ago and they are very well made and affordably priced.

Eben Horton 02-13-2018 08:44 AM

Wow does art have a nice studio, or what? I just looked at his website. Dream studio and such a cool bench. Furnace looks a little uniqu.

Lawrence Duckworth 10-24-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum (Post 138509)
Not the best photo, sorry, but here's one of Art's round blocks.
I bought three from him a few months ago and they are very well made and affordably priced.

Can you tell if the block was turned from a single piece of wood or is multiples laminated together, and is the end grain of the block horizontal or vertical to the glass? Cherry wood?
Thanks

Ron Mynatt 11-02-2018 04:43 PM

Single piece.

Franklin Sankar 11-04-2018 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or try these disposable types..:eek::eek::sulk::jester:
Franklin
:D

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig 11-04-2018 07:56 PM

Ha ha! Does it work Franklin?

Eben Horton 11-04-2018 08:44 PM

For what itís worth, I often use fresh cut bamboo pieces as marble blocks. It works awesome

Max Epstein 11-04-2018 11:43 PM

Nice. I'm gonna have to try out the coconut and bamboo!

Scott Novota 11-06-2018 01:10 PM

Try a honeydew melon Max....I kid it reeks...I have done it...don't ask why I don't have a really good answer.

Lawrence Duckworth 01-27-2019 08:30 PM

The 3, 1”ash laminated block didn’t distort and worked really well.

Monte G Becker 03-06-2019 08:09 AM

How to "prepare" new blocks?

I contacted Art Reed and purchased some blocks - they look great - but green. Any suggestions on how to burn them in? Or - just do...?

Monte

Eric Trulson 03-06-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monte G Becker (Post 142995)
I contacted Art Reed and purchased some blocks - they look great - but green. Any suggestions on how to burn them in? Or - just do...?

Monte

Just do it, Nike-style. I've never heard of any particular methods for burning in blocks, just getting them wet enough and starting to use them. Decent odds you'll pick up some wood particulate or ash on your glass during the first few uses, until a solid carbon layer is established.

Charles Friedman 03-06-2019 06:50 PM

Start with a clear gather to burn in.