CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   Schools & Books & Video links (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Glass Notes, eBook edition (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=12510)

Greg Vriethoff 01-09-2020 09:19 PM

Glass Notes, eBook edition

Glass Notes eBook edition is now available on Amazon. It's $15.00, and you can download the free Kindle app to use on your tablet or laptop.

Shawn Everette 01-10-2020 08:32 AM

Well there went the resale value

Pete VanderLaan 01-10-2020 09:40 AM

I have several ebooks and I simply don't like them. There's a magic to simply thumb through the pages of virtually any book, particularly tech books. I'll cling to my original of both the third and forth editions. It is worth noting that the amazon listing allows you to scroll through the entire book, page by page.

Shawn Everette 01-10-2020 10:32 AM

Ditto, I need paper. PDF lag on manuals is the worst.

Pete VanderLaan 01-10-2020 12:12 PM

One of the things I cope with poorly are those self serve stations in restaurants which have a glass cover over the food being offered. I lose my entire sense of depth of field, why, I have no idea but pdf type books do the same thing to me. When I use glassnotes, which I do frequently particularly on the charts for materials and oxides supplied with the reciprocals, I tend to bounce back and forth formulating what I'm trying to do. I can just mark the page with a post it and then go to Volf, or Weyl or a layout of old formulas with yet another post it. Then I wander into the spreadsheet. I may have five books out on the table. It would really be hard with doing that on the computer.
With my Weyl, It's a first edition and is a nive compact book. The reprint with the gray cover is this massive paperback that is actually difficult to negotiate, quite the difference. Joe Pieffer on the other hand did a fabulous job with the reprint of Volf.

I simply would never consider selling my books. Someone asked me yesterday, implying I might sell my strainoptics polarimeter. It would be the last thing to go in the shop. The dilatometer would go first.

Greg Vriethoff 01-10-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 146478)
There's a magic to simply thumb through the pages of virtually any book, particularly tech books.

I would prefer to have my books spiral bound so I can keep them open more easily. I want to take them somewhere and have them done, but that costs money that I don't have. I used to have access to equipment to do that at my old office job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 146478)
It is worth noting that the amazon listing allows you to scroll through the entire book, page by page.

I only scrolled through the first few pages of chapter one, and saw the batching stuff is still there.

Sorry I posted this in the main forum.

Henry Halem 01-16-2020 01:42 PM

eBook

I agree that the actual book is much better than eBooks. The way around that is to call up the book on your desktop computer and enlarge the page to 100%, take a screenshot of the pages you want. Print from the screenshot. I know it's a pain but such is life.