CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   DIY Blowing molds (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11877)

Gail Obendorf 02-18-2018 02:03 AM

DIY Blowing molds

I've been asked to make several identical (or nearly so) blown glass flames. I'd like to help, but I'm stumped. :confused:
I don't have access to a woodworker. I do have access to clay & plaster. I am open to any ideas or suggestions of how to make a mold.

Dan Vanantwerp 02-18-2018 10:13 AM

Both Glass Notes and Ed Schmidt's books have DIY sections on this.

There was also a huge list of retired Fenton molds that became available and were posted some time ago. May have been a flame in there, but besides the recent posting in the classified section I don't know what is still available, if anything. They were pricey but did get positive reviews from those who picked up a few.

Gail Obendorf 02-18-2018 11:32 PM

Thanks Dan, I will look into it :)

Mike McCain 02-19-2018 02:02 AM

Carve graphite blocks with Dremel tools and core drill bits. Buy hinges. Wear protection.

Gail Obendorf 02-23-2018 09:57 PM

Thanks Mike :) Not sure where to find graphite blocks, but I'm hoping that Google will be able to help me out

Pete VanderLaan 02-24-2018 07:42 AM

I used HGL Carbon in the past. High quality stuff.

Scott Mitchell 02-24-2018 09:24 AM

Is there a school nearby that does metal casting (Technical, Engineering, or Art school)? Perhaps you could get a mold into it when they do an aluminum pour.

Eben Horton 02-24-2018 12:25 PM

I had a commission once to reproduce some chandelier flame globes. I made a rubber mold of a flame, and then another rubber of that mold to give a rubber positive. Then I placed that inside a plastic painters pail and filled that with wax on its side. I then removed that wax and carefully made another wax up to the line I had made of the first wax. I then carved some fred flintstone looking hinges in it that accepted a 1/4 rod and sent them to a foundery. A lot of work but I was compensated nicely.

Ransom and randolf sells a good rubber

Art Freas 02-26-2018 07:59 AM

how do you put hinges on the graphite? Just screws?

Jordan Kube 02-26-2018 05:12 PM

Art, you typically want to use something with a coarse thread and treat it nice.

Eben Horton 02-26-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Kube (Post 138749)
Art, you typically want to use something with a coarse thread and treat it nice.

And use a tap and die.

Pete VanderLaan 02-27-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Kube (Post 138749)

I have a carbon cone attached to my airline gun for puffing out a piece. It's tapped and you do have to treat it nice.

Franklin Sankar 02-27-2018 12:13 PM

Eben so you made a wax negative. Why did you not use the rubber positive.
What did the foundry do with the wax mold you sent them?
Franklin

Eben Horton 02-27-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin Sankar (Post 138766)
Eben so you made a wax negative. Why did you not use the rubber positive.
What did the foundry do with the wax mold you sent them?
Franklin

The wax gets invested in a ceramic shell mold and then they burn out the wax.

You make a rubber and then a wax because you can make more waxes down the road if you have to, plus its easier to make a rubber mold of a wax than it is to make a rubber of a rubber.

Franklin Sankar 02-27-2018 12:30 PM

Ok so you made a ceramic object not a mold to cast glass.
I thought you were making a mold.
Thanks
Franklin