CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Powder with dust (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11886)

Franklin Sankar 02-25-2018 05:41 AM

Powder with dust

How do you or can you wash/ clean powder or frit contimanited with dust . The dust got in by leaving the glass open for far too long.
Franklin

Rosanna Gusler 02-25-2018 08:49 AM

Google " how to wash enamel powder "

Pete VanderLaan 02-25-2018 09:24 AM

I do wash frit and powder after making color and running the chunks through the crusher. I could own a second crusher that does ultra fines but that's another 6K, so I capture the stuff that broke up that way in the first place.

First the ore is run through screens from Gilson. I have about ten differing meshes in 18 x 18 drawers. It used to be automated with one on top of the other but I stopped that after leaving Santa Fe. Now it's hand work. The ore separates into varying grit sizes and than goes in a big stainless food prep tray from the navy.It has water added, it's stirred and the residue is discarded unless I think there's some valuable fines in it in which case it's evaporated.

I usually put about 20 lbs of ore in the tray at a time, stir constantly, and rinse as necessary until the water comes clear. Then it is allowed to evaporate on the burners until totally dry. Then it goes into bags marked with the frit size.

It's simple. You just have to be anal retentive and compulsive to do it. The crusher sadly is not actually a low maintenance machine. It chews up parts. Mine needs a few replaced that are hard to get to. Essentially, it's a beastly Archimedian wedge.

Franklin Sankar 02-25-2018 02:48 PM

Thanks
Hopefully the dust can dissolve or mix in with the water
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan 02-25-2018 04:22 PM

the dust can't dissolve if it's glass dust.

Franklin Sankar 02-26-2018 04:08 AM

Itís powder or frit I left open for a long while. Dust from the air is the worst. I did not realize It gets on everything even if you donít notice it.
Franklin

Pete VanderLaan 02-26-2018 08:38 AM

zip loc bags are your friend.

Eben Horton 02-26-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin Sankar (Post 138731)
It’s powder or frit I left open for a long while. Dust from the air is the worst. I did not realize It gets on everything even if you don’t notice it.
Franklin

When you are food shopping, always buy food that comes in a clear plastic jar with a screw on lid. For example, peanut butter, honey roasted peanuts, jelly beans, etc.

I bought cases of jars like that from the container store and they last a life time.

Ziplock bags work but can end in disaster

Cecil McKenzie 02-26-2018 01:00 PM

Franklin I have used a shallow sided pan to clean fit that has been contaminated. Put some frit in the pan with the water swish the water around to get the smaller dust particles in suspension then pour the water off but not pouring off frit, this is how small time prospectors panned for gold. Put the dirt in the pan swish it around and the heavier material settles to the bottom.

i adopted a stray brittany spaniel that made a sleeping place in a wooden box that had maybe 10 kilos of white fit breaking open every bag and contaminating it with clay like mud. She was an expensive dog. Prior to that she had made a bed in two 24 by 36 by 6 inch pieces of fiberfrax even though I did not discover that until later.

Hope this helps.

Franklin Sankar 02-27-2018 01:50 PM

Thanks I have hope now.
Franklin