CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So why do so few women post here? (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=12287)

Sky Campbell 04-24-2019 10:23 AM

Be seen not heard, Sweetie,degreed,women's work, and the word "bitch"

Is this really all in the thread asking why more women don't post here ???
Why are there so many old creepy guys into glass should be the next thread

Lawrence Duckworth 04-24-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky Campbell (Post 143874)
Be seen not heard, Sweetie,degreed,women's work, and the word "bitch"

Is this really all in the thread asking why more women don't post here ???

Wow that really hurts Sky. You don’t have to like my thoughts on the subject but name calling?? “Old creepy guys” .....very hurtful

.....this is not a safe place anymore :(

Pete VanderLaan 04-24-2019 12:36 PM

Rosanna knows I'm just giving her a hard time.

Pete VanderLaan 04-24-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky Campbell (Post 143874)

Well, you start it then.

Pamela Sherwood 04-24-2019 12:41 PM

Okay, I'll bite. I don't post much because I am not a professional in glass and don't have the expertise to provide useful insight.

My chemistry background is heavily skewed to organic and molecular biology (PhD - not that it's relevant), so while I understand in general the chemistry discussions, I have no personal experience of mixing glass batch or colors.

But I do read what's posted because I love blowing glass and want to understand it better.

Sky Campbell 04-24-2019 12:44 PM

It's a new age and even those southern born prefixes aren't nesasarily acceptable or wanted by today's women. Many would rather walk the other direction then try and school someone that doesn't get it.

Really Duck's reply blew my mind and not sure if it was for real or just trying to get a rise. I do hope it's the latter. The Internet is very literal and often sarcasm is lost or worse taken literally.

Mark Rosenbaum 04-24-2019 12:57 PM

I was a young, not so creepy guy when I started.... ;)

Rosanna Gusler 04-24-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 143880)
Roseanna knows I'm just giving her a hard time.

Yep. Many chuckles.

Rosanna Gusler 04-24-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum (Post 143886)
I was a young, not so creepy guy when I started.... ;)

True that. We were all cute when we were new.

Pete VanderLaan 04-24-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela Sherwood (Post 143884)
Okay, I'll bite. I don't post much because I am not a professional in glass and don't have the expertise to provide useful insight.

My chemistry background is heavily skewed to organic and molecular biology (PhD - not that it's relevant), so while I understand in general the chemistry discussions, I have no personal experience of mixing glass batch or colors.

But I do read what's posted because I love blowing glass and want to understand it better.

I have only scant information on your background because of the registration process but I can see how frequently you are a quiet observer out there. That's true of a number of other women as well. This is not an ideal site for glass lovers in an aesthetic sense and I have intentionally kept it that way to maintain focus. I appreciate your response.

I would note that useful insight and useful questions don't necessarily have a lot to do with each other.

Pete VanderLaan 04-24-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosanna Gusler (Post 143887)
Yep. Many chuckles.

I do think Sky has a point though. In my comment, You and I both knew we have quite a number of year's experience with each other. If that weren't true I never would have said what i said.
However, it occurred to me a bit late that the bulk of people here may not know that and were offended. For that lack of insight on my part, I apologize.

Rosanna Gusler 04-24-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 143890)
I do think Sky has a point though. In my comment, You and I both knew we have quite a number of year's experience with each other. If that weren't true I never would have said what i said.
However, it occurred to me a bit late that the bulk of people here may not know that and were offended. For that lack of insight on my part, I apologize.

heh. Yep I can see how that could have been taken now on hindsight. Still funny ..

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig 04-24-2019 08:30 PM

Lawrence- both my comments were meant as jokes.
Im very impressed what you have built for sure

Lawrence Duckworth 04-25-2019 07:49 AM

I’m pretty sure most folks know we’re all joking around Michael.....Btw, 38footer, r u Petes eu crucible sales rep?

Pete VanderLaan 04-25-2019 08:18 AM

My boat payments are entirely in my mind. I tend to keep getting tractors instead.

Eben Horton 04-25-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosanna Gusler (Post 143868)
Ok. Fine. Heh. That is a good varnish choice. I do 3 coats West epoxy with 207 hardener followed by 4 coats of awl spar followed by 3 coats of aw l bright on new wood.

I Put some thought into that process with West System.. I love West for all sort of things, but I can not trust it to yellow after 8 or so years even under a protective layer of varnish and if I then have to remove it to start over, the sanding involved would be TORTURE... so I will stick to the old fashioned way. I get why people do the epoxy trick- it saves time and money when you are paying someone to do it. This should cost me about $100 in materials and my time which has proven so many times to be worthless LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig (Post 143872)
Eben, Rosanna, I have a 38’ dutch steel trawler, offshore license good for 100 meter ship, radar and radio license, and european canal license- Pete eludes to boats when he has sold enough pots, maybe we could start a sub web chat here, discussing getting seeds out of lacquers?
Applying all our Murphys Law in glass experience to boating?

I need to see some pictures!! Mine is a 1965 Columbia 31 sloop designed by Charlie Morgan.

Rosanna Gusler 04-25-2019 03:44 PM

The 207 hardner does not yellow at all when covered by 7 ish coats of good varnish. I have transom and toe rails last 10 years with proper maintenance. Been using that system for about 20 years.

Eben Horton 04-25-2019 03:53 PM

Good to know. Are there UV inhibitors in the 207?

Rosanna Gusler 04-26-2019 03:32 AM

Yes. It also penetrates and strengthens the wood.

Pete VanderLaan 04-26-2019 06:39 AM

this is the most interesting hijack of a thread I can recall. It's far more informative than the initial subject matter was. Proceed.

Eben Horton 04-26-2019 02:09 PM

Doing britework on a boat is a lot like melting batch. its done in layers. If you try to do it all at once, its going to turn out horrible. Patience is next to godliness, Once you find a system that works, stick with it.

Greg Vriethoff 04-26-2019 04:40 PM

"Patience is next to godliness, Once you find a system that works, stick with it."

Pete VanderLaan 04-26-2019 06:44 PM

Use Hxtal, will not yellow or tarnish with age and makes childbirth a pleasure. Survives Nuclear Holocausts and is a bargain compared to sinking your vessel.
No UV Adhesives. Consider yourself warned.

Eben Horton 04-26-2019 08:58 PM

Hmm. That would be a very expensive project !

Franklin Sankar 04-27-2019 08:50 AM

uV hxtal melting batch. So we back on track again. :happy:
Franklin