CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Yellow Iron oxide? (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=9095)

Josh Bernbaum 05-30-2012 07:42 PM

Yellow Iron oxide?

Anyone tried using yellow iron oxide instead of the red iron oxide?
Hoping to throw some in with my next transparent color melt, but wondering
if I should be expecting a similar green that the red iron oxide makes or not.
Thanks.

Dave Bross 05-30-2012 08:23 PM

If it's a different color iron I would expect it to have a different level of oxidation/reduction.

Iron is sensitive to oxygen levels so you can probably expect a different color.

Maybe not different enough to even notice though.

Pete VanderLaan 05-31-2012 04:50 AM

It will really be a question of valence and oxygen supplied. Iron can have a lot of different valences. FeO, Fe203, Fe305... on and on.I have actually never heard of "Yellow" iron. Red and Black, Yes, Yellow, no. Some glasses want a lot of 02, some don't. It depends on your needs.

Josh Bernbaum 05-31-2012 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a melt today.
224g yellow iron oxide and 114g red copper oxide mixed in 50# SP87.
This recipe was courtesy of Ed Branson in western Massachusetts, although his had red iron and black copper.
Seems to be a nice turquoise-green.
The one at the top was my previous melt with a tiny bit of cobalt for the light blue.

Pete VanderLaan 05-31-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum (Post 105550)
Did a melt today.
224g yellow iron oxide and 114g red copper oxide mixed in 50# SP87.
This recipe was courtesy of Ed Branson in western Massachusetts, although his had red iron and black copper.
Seems to be a nice turquoise-green.
The one at the top was my previous melt with a tiny bit of cobalt for the light blue.

The top one actually looks like an intense copper glass to me Josh and the bottom certainly looks like iron and copper. Good Job!

Jon Myers 05-31-2012 10:17 PM

yellow Iron oxide is common enough in ceramics. I think it is less intense than red and black but I don't really remember... Its used in crystalline glazes

Steven O'Day 06-01-2012 08:36 AM

Yellow iron - Fe2H2O4
Black iron Fe3O4
Red iron – Fe2O3

Pete VanderLaan 06-01-2012 08:54 AM

Here's more: ( Thanks Steve.)

Here's what that trustworthy wikipedia says: ( Wanna buy a bridge?)
The monohydrate (FeO(OH)·H2O) might otherwise be described as iron(III) hydroxide (Fe(OH)3), and is also known as hydrated iron oxide or yellow iron oxide.

You're buying contaminated water Josh.
Also:

What is important about it is that iron becomes a nucleation point for the growth of crystals which is why many old copper ruby formulas call for Iron in the mix.