CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   Color work from rods and batch glasses (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Encapsulated Cd-Se stains (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11790)

Jordan Kube 12-08-2017 08:26 PM

Just a quick pull test shows a 2" bend in 16" of stringer, clear inside. It works super stiff in our 2500 degree glory holes too. I'm going to let it sit overnight and play with it tomorrrow.

Pete VanderLaan 12-09-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Kube (Post 137651)
Well there's no way this stuff is compatible. Imagine throwing a bunch of zirconia into your melt! The color is beatiful though. I'm probably going to have to melt my own custom clear and offset the expansion if I want to do it this way. I might hit you up for some advice Pete.

Two inches is rather huge. You'll never make a Hagy seal out of it that survives nor will a ring test do anything. I could take a cane 4mm (pencil lead size) diameter and make a run at the dilatometer but I would bet on something in the mid eighties.
This is where it gets hard using cullet, crushed or whatever. It's really hard to add stuff to cullet and remain accurate or not cording it up. If you do try, use potassium or lithium . They'll do different things. Potassium is kind to the color but doesn't move expansion as easily and Lithium will move expansion and make it kind of cordy.
This sort of stuff is likely easier in Boro since it hardly expands in the first place although lithium would wreck it.
Rather than to try to make a clear that's not compatible with the known world, I'd be more inclined to make a conventional assault on the color.

Jordan Kube 12-09-2017 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A custom clear with an offset expansion would be the way to go. This doesn't work with batch.

This is after 24 hours in the pot. Again, the pictures don't capture how nice this stuff is. It was the only one I could get out today, the barlett controller decided it didn't want to clear its error message so things are coming down as we speak.

Pete VanderLaan 12-09-2017 03:08 PM

It really looks nice but I suspect a moving target. Keep in mind you can get there with excess amounts of cadmium. That pushes the opacity. I suppose I prefer it when everything is compatible with ever thing else.

Down this path lies madness.

Kenny Pieper 12-10-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Kube (Post 137659)
A custom clear with an offset expansion would be the way to go. This doesn't work with batch.

This is after 24 hours in the pot. Again, the pictures don't capture how nice this stuff is. It was the only one I could get out today, the barlett controller decided it didn't want to clear its error message so things are coming down as we speak.

Is that straight out of the pot , or did you have to strike it? Nice color!

Pete VanderLaan 12-10-2017 06:39 PM

Hi Kenny, We haven't talked in a long time. Did you get those selenites I had hoped you could bring from George?

Kenny Pieper 12-11-2017 08:10 AM

Yea Pete I have a number of them I would be happy to share.

Pete VanderLaan 12-11-2017 08:46 AM

Thank you. Did the 30 mesh you know what work OK?

Kenny Pieper 12-11-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 137679)
Thank you. Did the 30 mesh you know what work OK?

Only used it once so far and it was fine. Actually there is a small melt bubbling away in the furnace now with some of the stuff in it. Hopefully a light opal for goblets.

Jordan Kube 12-12-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Pieper (Post 137671)
Is that straight out of the pot , or did you have to strike it? Nice color!

Pretty much comes out of the pot like that, Kenny. I'm really excited to work on it but I've got some lower hanging fruit to tackle first.

I'll post up the saw cuts after I make them but might not get to it until next week.

Sky Campbell 12-13-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Novota (Post 137647)
This is pretty cool! Where did you get those little assays from? I am interested in doing some stuff myself and those look very handy.

Hey Scott check out this thread for more info:

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread....nver+fire+clay

Pete VanderLaan 12-13-2017 12:35 PM

I'm under the impression that Denver Fire Clay was absorbed by Coors and markets as Coorstek out of Golden. Assay crucibles are certainly a great deal for experiments. They leach a lot of iron making use for clear not good and don't last long but as a throwaway, it's nice.