CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lusters - does anyone use them anymore? (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11860)

Pringle Teetor 02-01-2018 01:14 PM

Lusters - does anyone use them anymore?

3 Attachment(s)
Still cleaning out Lucartha Kohlerís studio to prepare for a sale of supplies etc and found an old box full of luster. Some are unopened (several platinum lusters) and some are half full, dried or almost empty. I know they donít go bad and can be refreshed (according to one of the companies I spoke to) but some have leaked in the box. Smells pretty toxic.I am assuming they are high fire. Hanovia stopped making many of these years ago. Should I take the lot to my local hazardous waste drop off or are any sellable?

Rosanna Gusler 02-03-2018 02:49 AM

I would buy that depending on price.

Pringle Teetor 02-03-2018 03:28 PM

Donít know if this is worth you driving in for but here is the sale we are having

Glass artist private studio supply and tool sale February 11 2018 10am - 3pm
Long time casting and fusing artist studio

Items such as:

Uroboros / Bullseye 90coe sheet glass, Frits, powders and casting blocks (90 & 96 COE) as well as misc scrap cast glass
Gaffer casting blocks and chunks
Stained glass sheets and tools
Clear plate glass
Mosaic glass
Vintage lusters
Soldering irons, solder, foil etc
Casting materials
Scrap glass, mold making materials,
Thompson enamels
Torches - hand/oxy pro and butane
And lots of general household tools
5-6í Long clear glass rods
Books

1319 Martin Luther King Blvd Durham right near the intersection of Dixon Road
Parking on Dixon road

Cash/check only

Any questions please email pteetor@mindspring.com or rkohler@intrahealth.org

Pete VanderLaan 02-03-2018 03:33 PM

Keep something in mind which I cautioned George Fenton over during the auction phase. He was asking a lot of money for some stuff that was going to cost him far more to legally dispose of than he would want to pay.
My example didn't come from George, it came from Southwest Glass.

They offered me 700 lbs of Cadmium sulfide for $100 dollars. The cost legally to dispose of it? $35,000 dollars. I turned down the one ton of red lead free.
With some stuff, take an offer and be grateful. The enamels and the lusters come to mind.

Pringle Teetor 02-03-2018 06:07 PM

Iím not keen on mailing them and fortunately Iíve had a few potters here ask about them so we know I can sell them. No clue what to charge but might research eBay.
Thatís amazing about the cost to dump but then again it is cadmium. But wow!

Pete VanderLaan 02-03-2018 06:23 PM

Just don't arrive there. If you have offers, don't be shy. Don't ask about mailing at all. pack it ship it. Think of England as my mom used to say.