CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Furnace build thread (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=7292)

Rollin Karg 08-26-2011 04:20 AM

Nice work Lawrence.

Rick Sherbert 08-26-2011 06:22 AM

Beautiful job on the furnace. Where did you get the latch for the kiln doors?

Pete VanderLaan 08-26-2011 06:44 AM

That is remarkably beautiful looking equipment Lawrence. I do have a question. Is the annealer with the arch brick crown made out of hard or softbrick? It appears to be hardbrick and I would be suspicious that it may be really slow cooling down in the lower range and somewhat slow heating up. What is the watt loading per cubic foot?.

Lawrence Duckworth 08-26-2011 07:42 AM

Thanks Rollin, the Gambles spk hi of u. E trailer.com 4the latched all 2000 ifb

Lawrence Duckworth 08-30-2011 06:23 PM

Guess who didn’t put a kill switch on his furnace door…….duh

Lawrence Duckworth 09-07-2011 08:18 PM

Here’s more of the equipment update. This GH will have an interior dimension of 13”dia. x 14”deep with a 10” and 4” access holes, a 4x6 ribbon burner. At the butt end of the chamber I’m using a 2” 2800ifb w/3.5” fiber, the doors and retainer ring I’ll use casto-lite. The cylinder is going to be cast from a cheaper Pryor Giggly’s Econocast, this product is supposed to hold up better to the heat and flame.

Question….With the smaller I.D. and the flame so close (13”) to the opposite side I wondered if it wouldn’t be better to mount the burner at the top and let the flame shoot down on a sand covered floor,…but I don’t know if “that” positioning of the burner would adversely effect the use of the glory hole…….????

The pipe warmer was a fun little project,…the plans are a free down load from Durolite.
[still waiting on the burner though]

Pete VanderLaan 09-08-2011 06:07 AM

I would stick to a side shot Lawrence for several reasons. First try to follow the radius of the inside of the gloryhole. You need to leave some room for your air and gas to mix as well before combusting. Putting all the tooling up top will get it pretty hot since.... heat rises so I would expect it to be harder on your blower etc. There should also be some pressure up there from the combustion which the burner apparatus would have to overcome which implies higher air/gas pressure which implies more cost. Way back when, I switched the furnaces at Pilchuck from top to side fired and lowered the fuel bill about $1,000 per week.

I mount my blower down low under the barrel and take two 90's to get up to the side entry. That leaves me space for the needle valve and the solenoid. I know a lot of people just put it outside so they don't have to listen to it. I think my neighbor would come and destroy it. He likes it really quiet.

Rollin Karg 09-08-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 99642)
I mount my blower down low under the barrel and take two 90's to get up to the side entry. That leaves me space for the needle valve and the solenoid.

This is a good configuration when there's a power outage too. It'll smoke like crazy but all the fuel will still get burnt.

Lawrence Duckworth 09-08-2011 08:08 AM

Thanks guys. I'v been following Dane Gs lead on this except for the econo cast. Will be Ramming the wet fiber soon :)

Pete VanderLaan 09-08-2011 08:31 AM

I just turned Charlie Correll on to lubed fiber, which if you have never used -it is really nice. No dust at all, no water, it's sprayed with lanolin and is really the best when packing fiber.

Virgil Jones 09-08-2011 12:01 PM

On my pipe warmers I like to put a piece of rebar for both parts where the pipes rest. The little bit of corrugation of the rebar keeps the pipes where you put them, but isn't so much they are hard to roll toward the flame as needed.

Richard Huntrods 09-08-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 99649)
I just turned Charlie Correll on to lubed fiber, which if you have never used -it is really nice. No dust at all, no water, it's sprayed with lanolin and is really the best when packing fiber.

That must fill the shop with a "fine" aroma during first firing.

-R

Pete VanderLaan 09-08-2011 01:12 PM

Does not smell at all.

Lawrence Ruskin 10-30-2011 06:14 PM

So on my Stadel mini I found three lairs of fairly dense fiber about 1 inch thick against the casting and that was backed with less dense frax out to the metal shell.In fact there was a bunch of ''chop'' next to the shell

What's the 1 inch stuff?

If I replace the 3 one inch lairs with some dense 3'' frax and another 3 inches of the same weight, is that going to make a difference in the heat loss?

Pete VanderLaan 10-30-2011 06:40 PM

frax comes in different densities. I am quite familiar with six pound which is really light and falls apart easily. I usually use eight pound for blanket that needs substance, or staying power. I ran in to the same circumstances today on my Moly.

In bulk, you can get regular bulk, or lubed bulk which is much easier to ram and doesn't require water. You have to ask for it and it's worth having.

Lawrence Ruskin 10-31-2011 08:58 PM

So now I'm looking for ''dip lag''

I spent all day looking for it in Vancouver. anybody got an idea where I can get a small ammount of it?

Steve Stadelman 10-31-2011 09:22 PM

The two layers closest in are 2600f, the rest is 2300f. Jeff at Hi Temp in Portland might be able to get you dip lag.

Rick Sherbert 11-01-2011 07:17 AM

Check this thread for Dip Lag...
http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=8569

Lawrence Duckworth 11-03-2011 07:19 PM

I’ve never charged a furnace, but I'm thinking its gotta be awkward doing it alone……dya’ll think this overkill?

Pete VanderLaan 11-03-2011 08:02 PM

You may be overthinking this Lawrence. Make sure that metal is A) steel and B) pretty thick and C) not painted. Don't bang into your pot or you'll break it. Don't charge more than 40 lbs at a time with your size equipment.

I just ladle mine in, have for forty years.

If you really want to get fancy, make an auger on that thing. Factories do it that way with big equipment where the charge is 100's of pounds at a time.

Nice work I might add!

Lawrence Duckworth 11-03-2011 08:33 PM

To be honest, I’m worried about my back and knees. The ladle would be okay I suppose, ifn I could rest it on the sill, but even then I’m thinking I’d be slow at it and lose alot of furnace heat in the process.

Scott Novota 11-03-2011 09:45 PM

Everything you make is so damn pretty.

Pete VanderLaan 11-04-2011 05:40 AM

I rest on the sill all the time. Sometimes I take naps too.

Lawrence Duckworth 11-04-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Novota (Post 100887)
Everything you make is so damn pretty.

Hi Scott, the secrets in the paint. Sherman Williams gunboat grey:)
We'll see how that purdy holds up to 2000 plus deg.......:)

Lawrence Ruskin 11-04-2011 09:18 AM

Lawrence, that thing is beautiful, just like all your equipment.

Let's guess, you have some Kool way of washing your cullet before you put in that tray.