CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   High Temp Crucibles (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=6547)

Dave Bross 07-04-2008 12:04 PM

How tall is the 7" pot?

Pete VanderLaan 07-04-2008 09:08 PM

right now, 6 inches. We are modifying it to be 8 1/2 inches tall.

Dave Bross 07-13-2008 09:42 PM

Would these pots stand up to being brought up and down from heat quickly or do they need a slow transition? The application I had in mind was using one in a glory.

Pete VanderLaan 07-14-2008 09:27 PM

I don't know of any high alumina pot that will really put up with that for any length of time. Fused silica would do it- once.

Eben Horton 07-14-2008 09:58 PM

I have brought small pots up in my color box over night filled with cullet and then tossed em in the glory as it was coming up.. not when the hole had just been turned on, but at dull orange- then at the end of the day pull it and bring it down in the color box.. I have no idea who made the pots- they were freebies.

Jordan Kube 07-15-2008 01:48 AM

Only one way to find out!

Dave Bross 07-15-2008 11:12 AM

Amen, Jordan!

OK, thanks, I'll stick to the old cheap-o mullite assay pots for glory hole abuse. Rude but effective!

Pete VanderLaan 02-22-2009 09:08 AM

We are having a five percent off sale on any High Temp crucibles ordered online through mar 31st.

www.crucibleconnection.com

Greg Gepp 04-02-2009 12:31 PM

A few questions.
How much for delivery to Australia ?
Victoria specifically. Does is depend on size ?
Are the pots flat base ?
And cheaper in multiples ? I don't know of any Australian suppliers of crucibles and I personally wish it was easier to get them. I could take a few and pass them on down here.

Pete VanderLaan 04-02-2009 02:15 PM

Maybe possibly you guys could get together and actually agree on some common pot sizes to use which I would try to help with and then you could order together, bringing the stuff into Sydney ( or I suppose Perth) harbor. There was a woman named Michelle Donde who was bringing them in to Sydney for a while. I know it's a huge country BUT it would be a really good thing. There are volume discounts and shipping really drops with volume.

As to the individual shipment, I need the port of entry for customs and the Aussie version of a zip code with a physical address.

Greg Gepp 04-07-2009 08:52 AM

how much will it cost me to import four 24" crucibles to Melbourne ?
Can you give me a ball park amount so can talk to people and maybe get a larger order happening
zip code ( that's postal code ?) 3844
I live on Victoria, in Gippsland, look it up on google, we have famous people living here
you guys don't know much about Australia do you

Pete VanderLaan 04-07-2009 09:00 AM

hey man,I am ,like way insulted. lets head for Broken Hill and duke it out.

Greg Gepp 04-08-2009 12:38 AM

he hee, bring the crucibles with you

Greg Gepp 04-09-2009 01:28 AM

ok, no offense intended, I correct myself to some of you guys don't know much about Australia.
You obviously know something, Broken Hill is a bit of an obscure place, unless of course you're someone who lives there or are seriously into the iron ore industry.
How much to ship to Melbourne, four of 24" crucibles? or do I need to ask at the web site ?
Thanks,
Greg.

Pete VanderLaan 04-09-2009 06:51 AM

No offense. I have been in love with that Sunburnt land since I was a little boy keeping lizards in terrariums and collecting all the stamps from British Oceania. Someday I hope to take the train to Perth across the southern part of the continent. Where else in the world can the prime minister walk into the ocean and vanish?

I am getting a quote for the crating and presuming it is coming into the port of entry in melbourne and being picked up there. If not I need a physical address. . You don't want any little pots for color?

Greg Gepp 04-09-2009 07:08 AM

Melbourne is good.
No small pots right now. I assume you're suggesting they will pack easily with the others ? If so that deserves some thought.
The four crucibles I'm asking for are only to guide me on shipping costs, I may want a couple of 19" instead of two of the 24 " or I'm not sure right now.
I have one friend interested to begin with but I want to suggest transport costs to him and any others who might be.
Thanks.

Pete VanderLaan 04-09-2009 07:16 AM

I understand. keep in mind the effort is a weird sort of scale where there is a minimum cost to do anything. Price always improves with volume. This sort of thing will irritate my crating company if you change thing a lot and they will stop taking me seriously.

Greg Gepp 04-09-2009 07:21 AM

ok I'll talk to people and make my next request a definite.

Greg Gepp 04-09-2009 07:24 AM

but obviously it would be good if I could give them some figure to budget for to begin with,
Thanks again.

Pete VanderLaan 04-09-2009 07:25 AM

I'll start with what you asked for.

Pete VanderLaan 04-09-2009 08:38 PM

Crating all four crucibles with a foam in place ring for each pot will run $475.00. It will meet all applicable import requirements that Oz has. The crucibles will run $675.00 each with a five percent discount applied after the total. The Shipping should run about ( About mind you) $750.00 USD. That is to the freight carriers warehouse at the port in Melbourne. It always needs to get picked up right away or they start to charge storage.

That is not bad when I consider that shipping an individual pot across this country costs about $200.00. The crating is an unfortunate but necessary expense since cargo stuff bound for the south pacific and beyond really takes some harsh handling. We do VISA /MC

I used to go around on Broken Hill with Graham Stone, whose great book "The Schedules" I deeply admire. I also love Australian films "Where the Green ants Dream" was a particular favorite. Do you know Ross Duncan? He was a student of mine at Pilchuck over thirty years ago and he's out there somewhere. I also haven't seen Whitely for some time either .

Pete VanderLaan 04-14-2009 02:28 PM

The actual shipping quote has come in at $525.00 That averages to less per pot than shipping them around the USA.

Greg Gepp 04-14-2009 09:02 PM

Thanks heaps Pete,
I know / knew Graham Stone when he was at the Meat Market craft Centre in Melbourne, haqd the opportuity to get a draft copy of the text but was so damn poor couldn't afford to give him the pittance he asked.
No I don't know Ross duncan, but I've rubbed shoulders with a lot of the glassies, since I got into the business when it was just starting to establish itself.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to Melbourne to work out an order so will get back to you soon.

Greg Gepp 05-01-2009 07:10 PM

Hi again, could you give me some indication of delivery time ?

Pete VanderLaan 05-01-2009 07:50 PM

I would have to inquire. i would imagine that it would be three weeks or less.