CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Murano information exchange thread (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11833)

Pete VanderLaan 01-09-2018 11:43 AM

Murano information exchange thread

Limited to 1500 People. At $325 per person plus add-on's, definitely not cheap.

Mark Rosenbaum 01-09-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 137997)
Limited to 1500 People. At $325 per person plus add-on's, definitely not cheap.

plus you have to be a member, so that is added on too...
For me, it is a chance to get to see some things that I normally would not....and to take a break and do some traveling (which I don't do a lot)... and convince Brenda that I NEED to go :D

Peter Bowles 01-09-2018 06:42 PM

Have just registered for the conference, but many of the ad- ons are already booked out.

Pete VanderLaan 01-09-2018 07:40 PM

It is moving really fast. I did three add ons this morning early. I've not heard back from the hotel yet. I wanted to be on the museum tour, the Toso tour and Efftre. I have them all but I got up early. Hotel and then airfare. I suspect 10K plus for two.

Pete VanderLaan 01-09-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum (Post 138008)
plus you have to be a member, so that is added on too...
For me, it is a chance to get to see some things that I normally would not....and to take a break and do some traveling (which I don't do a lot)... and convince Brenda that I NEED to go :D

It's clearly a NEED. Where else would we see each other?

Mark Rosenbaum 01-10-2018 12:19 PM

All of the demos at Venini are sold out.... I got the museum tour, blowing glass path, and Venini tour.... this is costing me a bit ;)
I have a hotel that I booked as soon as the conference was announced..... but may have to move over to Venice and commute because we are going with another couple who are not going to the conference and would rather be in Venice than take a taxi each morning.... AHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Pete VanderLaan 01-10-2018 01:33 PM

Mark, I just booked the
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio which is in Venice proper.
which is in Venice and I would prefer to be closer in. Most hotels are already sold out. Perhaps your non conference people would want to swap. It's Mary Beth and Me tues night thru sat night.

Mark Rosenbaum 01-10-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 138022)
Mark, I just booked the
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio which is in Venice proper.
which is in Venice and I would prefer to be closer in. Most hotels are already sold out. Perhaps your non conference people would want to swap. It's Mary Beth and Me tues night thru sat night.

Let me talk with them this weekend.... mine is Locanda Conterie in Murano for the same dates....

Pete VanderLaan 01-10-2018 06:29 PM

we are indeed pricey but it's my fault in booking today. I think our room is about $1600 USD which I'm Ok with but the nuisance is my concern/ It seems perfectly nice and is opposite Murano. Where the Vaporetto are, I don't know. We can arrive anytime of night on the fifteenth, leaving on sunday ( five nights)

But Hey! we're all going !

Peter Bowles 01-10-2018 06:39 PM

We booked an Air B+B almost as soon as we heard about the conference and scooped a lovely little place on Murano.
Managed to miss out on most of the tours and visits which I'm really shitty about - just a delay on our part with time differences and stuff.
Effetre would have been amazing to see.
Also booked and paid for the closing party, which says is included in the brochure- yet came up as an option to purchase on registration - so who knows.

David Patchen 01-10-2018 07:06 PM

I booked but wasn't able to get a room at the hotel GAS contracted with--sold out quickly. I still need to figure out where I'm staying.

I couldn't get some of the events when I registered, but then I went back the next day and they were available so I re-registered and got them.

We should turn this thread (or create another) for a roll-call of everyone here who's going.

Pete VanderLaan 01-11-2018 07:08 AM

Well, it certainly is expensive. With MB;s and my registration plus the three other venues, plus re-upping as a member, it was over 900 bucks and then the hotel is $1600, and then the air fare. We get major miles with our Mastercard but it's not for the faint of heart. It certainly doesn't include any daily expenses. I expect 9K before we're home, perhaps more but we are going on to Cyprus and N. Ireland.
As I was tracking hotels yesterday, three closed down on me while I was looking saying they had just booked their last room. They were book 75 per hour. There wasn't anything on Murano. It was all in real time.

Eben Horton 01-11-2018 08:46 PM

Have fun guys ! Iíll be on my boat. Thatís where you really waste money.

Art Freas 01-16-2018 10:36 AM

So who else is going? I will be there with my wife.

Mark Rosenbaum 01-16-2018 11:46 AM

I thought that David was going to start a separate thread on this?.....

Pete VanderLaan 01-16-2018 12:07 PM

Murano information exchange

Just use this one Mark.

Pringle Teetor 01-17-2018 10:45 AM

I hope everyone can post pictures and videos for us that are not going. Back in the day (the 80ís) I did international inbound/outbound tourism and have been to Murano many times. So many of those places are tiny. I hope GAS has good local ground handlers otherwise it could be a cluster _____. Patience will be the word of the hour. I think it will be the opportunity of a lifetime for so many and I do wish I could go.

Jordan Kube 01-17-2018 05:52 PM

The best squid ink pasta is at Ai Frati, just over the bridge on the way to Roberto's. In my humble opinion.

Pete VanderLaan 01-17-2018 06:05 PM

Squid Ink Pasta?.... really? The best...

Art Freas 01-17-2018 07:02 PM

Other than tasting like Squid Ink, what does Squid Ink pasta taste like?

Marty Kremer 01-17-2018 09:45 PM

Close your eyes and it tastes like pasta, but just a little bit fishy.

Jordan Kube 01-18-2018 11:56 AM

Well usually they make a nice sauce with butter or cream but it varies from place to place.

If you don't go to Osteria al Duomo across the bridge from San Donato on Murano and get the mixed seafood pasta dish you might as well never have gone.

Take advantage of the local cuisine while you're there. After work Venetians will often go out for cicchetti and a spritz. You'll find the tourists drinking them with Aperol which I kind of look at as training wheels for Campari, which most of the Italians seem to drink. Here's a good link that talks about cicchetti:https://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/ve...etti-at-bacari

Some of my favorite places are along Fondamenta dei Ormesini in the Canneregio neighborhood. If someone wants to fly me out as tour guide I would be happy to oblige. I don't get lost in Venice :D

Rich Samuel 01-23-2018 11:41 AM

Funny half-minute from last night's Antiques Roadshow, starts at 27:00. Caveat Emptor. ;)

http://www.pbs.org/video/harrisburg-hour-3-q06lsw/

Pete VanderLaan 01-23-2018 06:51 PM

This not really in the right place Rich as I've had time to consider it. .

Rich Samuel 01-24-2018 09:47 AM

Pete, feel free to dump or move it. I just though the Venice reference was worth a laugh.