CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do You Buy Shipping Supplies From Uline? (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11916)

Rich Samuel 03-21-2018 10:37 AM

Do You Buy Shipping Supplies From Uline?

Please read this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiasa.../#15631c7f5cad

Mark Rosenbaum 03-21-2018 11:26 AM

Pretty well known fact.... I've adjusted my buying accordingly.

Sky Campbell 03-21-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Samuel (Post 139083)

I do order from them and it turns out to be a good chunk every year. I'm not very political but I'm happy to switch suppliers if you can recommend one that is as convenient and well priced as uline.

FYI: I really don't discriminate across party lines. If I did my customer base would be drastically reduced. I share good values from both parties and can honestly say neither identify me and all my beliefs. My wife sometimes questions why our customer base is the one percenters and how this could effect our morality. I worry about small community and less about big money/power. Maybe it's naive but if we all worked on a local level we would be so busy the talking heads would hold less water. All we need is love.

Pete VanderLaan 03-21-2018 12:05 PM

One of my great disappointments recently was having a collector of my work for decades being no longer willing to talk to me because she hated Obama so much and I would not go along with her rants. If you want to go down this route you need to stop using UPS, Home Depot, and a big host of others. The National association of independent businesses is a rogues gallery of the right.

So, I tricked them all and stopped making stuff for wholesale and I don't use materials hardly at all now. Pretty smart... right ( or left) . mmm

Marty Kremer 03-21-2018 07:20 PM

I can't open that link but I don't use Uline because of high shipping costs. I've got a local supplier.

Eben Horton 03-21-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Kremer (Post 139092)
I can't open that link but I don't use Uline because of high shipping costs. I've got a local supplier.

Same here. I get free delivery for orders over $200. And their prices are lower than uline.

Mike McCain 03-21-2018 11:16 PM

I like what Overstock is doing with their billions.

David Balkon 03-22-2018 06:18 AM

I like the useful and helpful information and people on this website. I donít appreciate political postings on it. I can always go to Facebook if I want that.

Pete VanderLaan 03-22-2018 07:10 AM

normally, political leanings are in the cords section. I happen to view right wing politics with a very dim eye. I suspect that if entrepreneurs had their way, you would pay a fee for craftweb. You don't.

Josh Bernbaum 03-22-2018 09:48 AM

Some recommendations would be nice on where to buy packing/shipping materials instead of using Uline. Besides just learning now of their support of far right PAC's, I've been disappointed by their exorbitant shipping prices to send boxes or bubble wrap to me. I've called and complained that they only seem to have one shipping option, "next day," and that it'd be nice to have a slower option if I'm not in a rush and could be less expensive. I don't think my suggestion was considered at all.

Pete VanderLaan 03-22-2018 10:31 AM

There are other options if you goggle "packing supplies Vermont " These guys make boxes in Biddeford Maine Josh. They handle bubbles as well. I can't speak to prices but they donate to wounded warriors. I agree that I like to know those politics. I invest the same way.

http://volkpackaging.shoppkg.com/Default.aspx

David Patchen 03-22-2018 10:48 AM

I knew this and spent a half day trying to find alternatives for the stuff I buy from Uline and I couldn't find anyone who sells the telescopic boxes I use, so I'm stuck with Uline for those. I'm super bummed because I *really* don't want to patronize right-wing-supporting businesses but I also really love telescopic boxes (can cut to size).

Eben Horton 03-22-2018 11:17 AM

I use National Packaging Supply out of Providence. Prices are lower than Uline and they charge a fuel surcharge of $5 for me, due to being a 40 minute drive South. Iíve used these guys for 25 years and really like them. Phone number is 401-490-7481

Jordan Kube 03-22-2018 03:54 PM

Alternatives:

https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/04/14...cturing-uline/

Jordan Kube 03-22-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Balkon (Post 139095)
I like the useful and helpful information and people on this website. I donít appreciate political postings on it. I can always go to Facebook if I want that.

With art and arts funding anathema to current conservative values you should not be surprised that artists and craftspeople take a dim view of companies like this.

You, too, are welcome to vote with your wallet.

Pete VanderLaan 03-22-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Kube (Post 139105)
With art and arts funding anathema to current conservative values you should not be surprised that artists and craftspeople take a dim view of companies like this.

You, too, are welcome to vote with your wallet.

Well said. Let them know it too.

Josh Bernbaum 03-22-2018 07:51 PM

Thanks for those links, I'll be looking into them soon.

Pete VanderLaan 03-23-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum (Post 139108)
Thanks for those links, I'll be looking into them soon.

Let us know pricing comparables.

Sky Campbell 03-23-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 139113)
Let us know pricing comparables.

I buy thousands of 4x4x4 simple brown gift boxes and more brown handle bags then I like every year. i found nothing comparable in the above links :(

Pete VanderLaan 03-23-2018 01:12 PM

Before NJM in Portsmouth closed, I had asked Lois about shipping stuff and she said she did not use ULINE and considered them really expensive. She did not, however say who she did use. WB Mason Perhaps, I don't know. The Biddeford place actually makes the boxes.

Eben Horton 03-23-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 139116)
Before NJM in Portsmouth closed, I had asked Lois about shipping stuff and she said she did not use ULINE and considered them really expensive. She did not, however say who she did use. WB Mason Perhaps, I don't know. The Biddeford place actually makes the boxes.

I was so bummed when they closed. They were selling our work at a good clip.
And then real mother goose closed their main gallery.. that hurt too. Itís all discouraging, but everyoneís getting to the retirement age.

Eben Horton 03-23-2018 03:01 PM

Josh, do you know Emily Abbott? She is related to this company in some way.. maybe her dad started it? I havenít thought about this since 2005... but here you go.

http://www.abbottaction.com/

Eben Horton 03-23-2018 03:19 PM

I just checked an invoice from national packaging supply. I just chose a box I use a lot of- 16Ē cube. I pay the same as uline ($1.56) a box for a bundle of 25. And pretty much get free shipping on orders of $200 or more. I canít find a better deal anywhere.

John Riepma 03-23-2018 03:24 PM

I plugged in some of the popular sizes that I use and this seems cheaper than Uline: https://www.packagingsupplies.com/shipping_cartons.html Not sure about shipping costs though. I agree that Uline shipping always seems rather expensive to me.

Rick Wilton 03-23-2018 04:53 PM

Do these other guys mail you a 700 page catalog seemingly EVERY OTHER DAY and then give you another huge catalog with every order no matter how frequent or small? Killing trees unnecessarily is even more annoying than their politics.