CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gb5 question (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=12516)

Mike Kaplan 01-15-2020 02:46 PM

Gb5 question

Please donít answer this question with any answer such as : call Digitry. (Mia)

My kiln is suddenly dropping in temp. as if I turned it off. Does this sound like a thermocouple?

Shawn Everette 01-15-2020 03:52 PM

More info needed. Still power to everything? Mini fuse in GB blown? Relay activating but temp "dropping"? All elements working?

Mike Kaplan 01-16-2020 08:58 AM

Everything seems normal except the temp is just dropping.

Shawn Everette 01-16-2020 09:29 AM

So the kiln temp is actually dropping and the gb registers that? That would indicate a loss of power, either to the relay, from the relay, or an element gone bad.

If it's not registering the drop, then I'd go towards a thermo problem or the gb motherboard has gone bad.

Henry Halem 01-16-2020 01:28 PM

Call Digitry

Call Digitry

Rick Kellner 01-16-2020 02:46 PM

Call Watlow.

Pete VanderLaan 01-17-2020 07:10 AM

Call Dr Glass.

If you have a multi meter, check to establish that you have power to the relay overseeing the elements. If there is power there, check the other side of it as to power out to the element. Also check continuity in the relay itself. Then check continuity in the element itself, assuming you only have one. Also check to see if the controller is in fact making a call to activate the relay. That's the two input wires coming from the controller. IF all else fails, Call Eben and he'll tell you how great Digitry is.

I don't think it's the thermocouple or its connections or the readout would be all over the map. Motherboards? that should be born out with the power check I've already mentioned.

Mike Kaplan 01-17-2020 09:22 AM

Digitry finally got back to me and said it is likely the relay and if not then the gb5 needs to be sent back. So I will replace the relay and hope it works

Pete VanderLaan 01-17-2020 09:41 AM

It's easy to test. Just do what I suggested.

Mike Kaplan 01-17-2020 10:36 AM

It is an easy test only when itís not working unfortunately it is very intermittent

Mike Kaplan 01-17-2020 10:39 AM

I would like to set up a light that would go on if this Kiln drops below a certain temperature. Does anyone have any suggestions how to set something like that up. I guess it would be like an alarm if temp drops below a set parameter

Pete VanderLaan 01-17-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kaplan (Post 146555)
It is an easy test only when itís not working unfortunately it is very intermittent

I've gone back and reread this entire thread. At no point did you bother to mention that the shutdown was intermittent making virtually every observation about the problem completely useless. If you can't simply state the circumstances creating the problem, then don't post them at all.

Relays in fact can run and then crap out as they perform their jobs when they heat up. . At one point, Corning sold off vast numbers of MDR's that did exactly that. It's been about twenty years since it occured.

Eben Horton 01-18-2020 11:25 AM

Sticky relay.

If you want to double your fun, wait until is sticks on the closed position with an annealer full of work and creates its own fusing project.

Pete VanderLaan 01-18-2020 12:28 PM

Not necessarily stick but it's one of two possibilities. I've also seen the solenoid on even MDR's simply shut off when they have been running for a while. They start cold just fine but have issues as they run. You are right if a mechanical relay fails and sticks but for an MDR to stick open would be pretty remote. I don't know how that would happen unless it suddenly was laying on its side.

Mike Kaplan 01-20-2020 07:41 AM

Looking into it further I have found some damage to the relay and I am switching that out

Shawn Everette 01-20-2020 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's always fun.

Pete VanderLaan 01-20-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Everette (Post 146590)
That's always fun.

I like the use of the negative space.

Shawn Everette 01-21-2020 09:01 AM

It was about 20 hours or so of enameling. Did still kinda look interesting if I could of saved it.