CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stadelman Furnace refurbish (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=11963)

Tim Bassett 05-01-2018 07:17 PM

Stadelman Furnace refurbish

I have been operating my 300# Stadelman furnace for a little over nine years and it is time for a rebuild. I would like to replace the door arch and all the fibre insulation. We are using Gaffer batch which has eaten the door arch to the point where it needs replacing. This is not a criticism of the batch we are using, at around 400 charges the furnace has held up really well. Will it be possible to cast another door arch and replace the existing one ? The next door I cast will have as big a vent as I can put in it to alleviate future problems. I am hoping to remove the existing arch somehow and replace it. I( have replaced the crucible a couple of times and put in new roof insulation but I have never looked at the insulation in the walls. Is the insulation within the walls blanket or bulk fibre?What should I cast a new door arch with? I have cast new doors from time to time using the same refractory that i used for my glory hole doors and it seems to hold up O.K.

Pete VanderLaan 05-01-2018 08:15 PM

we supply the actual doghouse door but not the door as an original casting if that's what you want. All other parts as well, except for the door.

Charles Friedman 05-01-2018 10:32 PM

Tim You are spot on, with a vent built in the door. If you can, line it with a high alumina tube, (sq. or round) it would help, for the long run.

PS My regards to the lovely Tallie.

Pete VanderLaan 05-02-2018 08:19 AM

I used a long one inch thermocouple tube when I did that.

Josh Bernbaum 05-02-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bassett (Post 139726)
but I have never looked at the insulation in the walls. Is the insulation within the walls blanket or bulk fibre?

I believe it would have been fiber blanket wrapped around and pinned in place before the round steel exterior went around it.

Pete VanderLaan 05-02-2018 09:45 AM

Mine is two inch thick fiber blanket in multiple wraps and I think it's about 8lb density. Mine is rectangular, not round though.

Tim Bassett 05-03-2018 11:52 PM

Hi Pete,
Can you send me a price for the doghouse door please.
Regards
Tim Bassett

Pete VanderLaan 05-04-2018 03:56 PM

there were two different castings for that furnace. One long, one short. Do you use a 9/18 312/500 element or a 6/12 450/500 element. The 6/12 is far thinner and turned into a pain to ship so Steve switched to a beefier but shorter element. That in turn changed the castings.

Again. this isn't the actual door. It's the casting that the door rests against.
MaryBeth tells me the long is $444.00 and the short, $406.00 FOB Portland.