CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sourcing 0/3/4 pumice? (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=12452)

Pete VanderLaan 10-17-2019 11:01 AM

Sourcing 0/3/4 pumice?

I used to just go down to the pumice plant and buy it by the bag when I lived in Santa Fe. That option is gone, the plant moved etc. I find I still need that grade pumice and wonder if anyone has a source that is actually selling it. It's the same grit that dentists use but they have this perfumed crap.
So, Active suppliers?

Rick Kellner 10-17-2019 12:59 PM

You can buy it unscented for the laboratory side of the dental field, but some of the supply houses will not sell to entities outside of the profession. Others might require only a business license. If you look hard enough, there are some without such hassles, but they are usually peddling on eBay, etc.

Here's an example of the lab stuff:

https://www.pearsonlab.com/catalog/p...3906&pid=50609

Pete VanderLaan 10-17-2019 02:22 PM

I found a place that will sell it to me at a very nice price 90Lbs for $37.00 BUT they won't ship to a residential address, something I've hit before buying Nitric acid.
Fed Ex has seized on this residential address listing which was done by some arbitrary means and it is killing shipping crucibles right now. Many studios are not in business districts even to the point of not being allowed in business districts so it's a catch 22.
With the pumice, all I've been able to do is to explain that pumice isn't exactly a chemical, it's a mineral. We'll see. A dental supply refused to sell it to me.

Used to be I'd drive down St Francis Drive in Santa Fe and get it at the Navaho plant. The city grew up around the facility and the neighbors who had all bought the vacant lots around the place started to complain to the city. The facility was grandfathered in but eventually the pressure turned into a nuisance and they left town. Now, I'm 2500 miles away looking for a crummy bag of 0 3/4 pumice. The 90 lb bag used to cost me nine bucks. I gave them cash to use at Dunkin Doughnuts.

Eben Horton 10-17-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan (Post 145619)
I found a place that will sell it to me at a very nice price 90Lbs for $37.00 BUT they won't ship to a residential address, something I've hit before buying Nitric acid.
Fed Ex has seized on this residential address listing which was done by some arbitrary means and it is killing shipping crucibles right now. Many studios are not in business districts even to the point of not being allowed in business districts so it's a catch 22.
With the pumice, all I've been able to do is to explain that pumice isn't exactly a chemical, it's a mineral. We'll see. A dental supply refused to sell it to me.

Used to be I'd drive down St Francis Drive in Santa Fe and get it at the Navaho plant. The city grew up around the facility and the neighbors who had all bought the vacant lots around the place started to complain to the city. The facility was grandfathered in but eventually the pressure turned into a nuisance and they left town. Now, I'm 2500 miles away looking for a crummy bag of 0 3/4 pumice. The 90 lb bag used to cost me nine bucks. I gave them cash to use at Dunkin Doughnuts.

Does Karissa still have her gallery? Ship it to her.

Steven O'Day 10-17-2019 06:59 PM

I picked up bags that fell off the truck when I lived there!

Kenny Pieper 10-17-2019 07:58 PM

I think I got my Navajo pumice from cr minerals last time. I got a 50lb bag and it was big and cheap.

Pete VanderLaan 10-18-2019 03:10 PM

That's funny. CR Minerals bought out American Pumice which had the plant in Santa Fe I used to get it from. They moved to Pueblo Colorado, home of polluting industries everywhere. The website shot is of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains, behind Santa Fe. The Jemez Mountains are just chock full of this stuff. It used to have the downside of a high iron content. We would put magnets in the slurry tray and at the end of the day, it looked like a miniature porcupine.

Thanks for the name link Kenny.

Hugh Jenkins 10-28-2019 03:17 PM

I am using a product called Resilience that is a dental compound. I once got a 5kg box as a "sample". I still like using it between 20 micron alumina and cerium but don't do near as much polishing as I once did.

Since I have finally decided to keep going until at least when I run out of glass or the crucible signs off, I am cleaning up my cold work area for whatever comes, so there will certainly be a need for touch ups if nothing else.

Pete VanderLaan 10-28-2019 04:21 PM

I remeber Nick Labino putting blanks away. it never really worked out sadly. I am refurbishing all the heads on the pumice and cerium, the diamond saw is getting cleaned. Since I went to not having a helper, my 120 machine has stayed true for 14 remarkable years. I do think I'll need to check bearings and it's really hard for me to pull a 300 lb wheelhead alone. The furnace got quite small last year and when the futures propane runs out, I'll really change this dog and pony show.

Hugh Jenkins 10-28-2019 08:45 PM

Getting rid of the pony makes a big difference.

Pete VanderLaan 10-29-2019 08:52 AM

and they aren't even metaphorical. We have three hay burners.

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig 11-02-2019 07:23 PM

Since I went to not having a helper, my 120 machine has stayed true for 14 remarkable years.

Thats really funny!

Pete VanderLaan 11-02-2019 08:13 PM

furthermore, all my tools are right where I left them the day before.

Pete VanderLaan 11-17-2019 05:40 PM

Ultimately , I got a 45 lb bag from these guys, being the only ones willing to answer an email. The price was OK at about $25.00. The shipping was twice that.

https://pumicestore.com/pumice-grades-directory.html