CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk

CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk (http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php)
-   General Hot Glass Discussion (http://talk.craftweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Implantable Cardiac Pacemaker/Defibrillator (ICD) (http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php?t=12438)

Charles Friedman 10-04-2019 07:46 PM

Implantable Cardiac Pacemaker/Defibrillator (ICD)

Implantable Cardiac Pacemaker/Defibrillator (ICD)
So, I just had one of these things installed the other day. Big lighting storm a few weeks back, blew up two clocks in the house and sent me off on my 6th heart attack.
All back again and full of piss and vinegar.
But the big rub is, the Docs say I have to stay away from kilns and other electrical furnaces. My whole shop is electric.
Does someone out there, know more about this?

Brian Wong Shui 10-06-2019 08:12 AM

Looks like ICDs are susceptible to EMI/RFI interference. In an electric kiln/furnace, there is a lot of switching going on that can generate stray fields. Hard to say how much unless the system was put in an anechoic chamber and tested. Walking around the shop with an AM/FM radio may be able to identify if your equipment is noisy.

I have a friend whose icd was triggered by his cell phone receiving a call. He had his phone in his inside jacket pocket. Needless to say his phone no longer resides on his body.

Boston Scientific has posted some papers and the NIH has some studies. Google EMI RF interference ICD. Two links posed for reference.

Link1

Link2

Pringle Teetor 10-06-2019 06:32 PM

Iím glad you are still with us! Hugs!!!!

Pete VanderLaan 10-06-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff (Post 145463)
You'd still need to have an assistant box your pieces, etc..

SOLUTION!
And I love the marketing angle.. Glass to die for!

(Cut it out Charles..)

Brian Wong Shui 10-06-2019 08:43 PM

Chain mail glassblowing shirts :-)

Ted Trower 10-06-2019 09:57 PM

The clocks would indicate that your house took a large surge from a lighting strike. The amperage in one of those is enormous. I would argue that if you had no problem with your studio equipment previously, then you aren't likely to have any problems in the future.

Rich Samuel 10-07-2019 03:47 AM

Jesus, Charles, is there a number your aiming for!? When did this all start? And more importantly, how did the surgeons work around your beard?

Seriously, be well, friend.

Charles Friedman 10-07-2019 09:22 PM

[quote=Rich Samuel;145471] And more importantly, how did the surgeons work around your beard?

Thanks you all for the kind words. Rich.....braided it and tossed over my shoulder.

Franklin Sankar 10-13-2019 07:40 PM

For so many years you worked around your electric equipment and nothing happened. If you did not change anything why would there be a concern now.
CAn you get a communication technician or Russian spy to come and scan the shop for RFI EMI waves.
Check your regulations on if your house needs lightening rods.
Yes itís not time for you to depart as yet so donít worry.
Franklin

Larry Cazes 10-14-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin Sankar (Post 145531)
For so many years you worked around your electric equipment and nothing happened. If you did not change anything why would there be a concern now.
CAn you get a communication technician or Russian spy to come and scan the shop for RFI EMI waves.
Check your regulations on if your house needs lightening rods.
Yes itís not time for you to depart as yet so donít worry.
Franklin

He has had a cardiac device implanted surgically just recently

Max Epstein 10-14-2019 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This might be a good time to post some pics, about a year late.

Guess I missed the message about wearing black!

Rich Samuel 10-15-2019 02:39 AM

Thanks Max! :)