View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcheal Veenstra View Post
so, putting together a shopping list from us pigments.. I want to understand that what it's called in the recipes is what it's on the website because I was never a potter and this stuff is still new to me... I've read with interest all of this over the years and now am excited to start putting stuff I'm reading into use and truly learning..

Red Copper is also called Cuprous oxide, but on USP it's Copper Oxide Red?
When something calls for Copper Oxide which? (Red, Black, or Carbonate?)
Red iron is maybe Iron Oxide Red (Spanish) on USP? (same as ferrous oxide?)
Cobalt, is Cobalt oxide? (carbonates add o2, not what we want I think)
Nickle oxide, black or green from USP?
Black tin is Tin Oxide Black (Stannous oxide) on USP?

At least I'm not asking about manganese dioxide, that I can figure out, and it's really cheap compared to others.

notebooks will be kept.. it's time to learn!

I know this is all simple stuff compared to actually batching things but I need to start somewhere and I have everything I need save the oxides now to do it. At least I'll start somewhere.
Red copper is also Cuprous oxide ( Cu2O). Black Copper is (CuO).

Spanish Iron is something Paul Soldner started up about forty years ago and drove people nuts. Fe2O is a +2 ion Fe2O3 is a +3 ion. Read about that here
(The difference between ferric and ferrous iron is that ferric iron is in a plus-3 oxidation state, while ferrous iron is in a plus-2 oxidation state. This means that ferric iron needs to share three electrons with an oxygen molecule to make the ion neutral, while ferrous iron only needs two more electrons.)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...errous%20oxide

Hint: I almost never use either black copper or iron.

If you buy carbonates, you're paying a lot for oxygen. I view Cobalt carbonate as a softer way to introduce cobalt as opposed to the oxide. I think making powder blue is the only sane way to introduce cobalt if you want consistency. Take 10 grams of cobalt oxide and add 90 grams of either batch or silica to it. Then mix. Take ten grams of that and add it to yet another 90 grams of frit or batch or whatever. I think you get the dilution point.

Nickle: Use black. Many people are allergic to nickle. It causes a rash. It's not lethal. I do not care for the color nickle makes in a soda glass. It does improve in a potash glass.

Potassium Dichromate: Makes a piss green. It's the stuff that got Bullseye in so much trouble in Portland. Think Erin Brokovitch, think Hexavalent chromium, think rat poison.

Put the manganese through a fine screen or you'll get little tiny lumps.
Actually screen everything. I do.

Black tin can be had from the Mason Corporation. It's no longer cheap.