View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 02:48 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
you need to go back to the periodic table of the elements and take a look at the placements of Copper, Silver, and Gold. All bunched up in a stack. There's reasons. Now read a basic chemistry book.

When I used to make copper rubies, I actually just rolled the gather into silver nitrate and cased in clear and got pretty much the same kind of reaction, sometimes blue and creamy outline. Usually blue. Silver is very influential on gold glasses making them depart from traditional wine reds to colors like motor oil, Iris gold, lots in that vein.

When silver gets added to fluorine opaques it almost inevitably turns gray and is unattractive. I do not know why that would be. I don't know what might occur if you were to overlay copper ruby frit on that. I've never tried. The gray was quite bad enough.
Silver is remarkable in that it now has been demonstrated that it can make every color in the spectrum. No other metal ( or atom) can do that. What to me is even more remarkable is how little rigorous research has been done on coloring with it. Weyl and Volf essentially dismiss it largely because it is so flaky and that scares industry off.
But as to more materials that will create a reactive chain, I doubt it beyond cadmium and lead. Look at that little section of the element chart. It's small.

Perhaps having a clear that is not oxidized cased in a silver might have an interesting effect. I don't know.