View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 12:53 PM

Warren Trefz is on a distinguished road
my experiences

The Blockhead blocks work very well, though the students tend to burn the throats out while learning.

We have Putsch pipes in the 26mm and 20mm and I have been happy with their performance over the past 6 years. I feel they are better balanced than Steinerts and I do not have to straighten them as often.

Just last Spring we got some Cutting Edge chromo-moly pipes and punties and the students prefer the balance of them over the Steinerts. They are the .095 wall thickness but still have managed to get bent slightly. I used to use Putsch 20mm for my work but now use Spiral Arts smallest pipe and 10mm punties. I really like them. I have one of their "cup pipes" but never use it because the balance is not as nice as the smallest ones and the head is too large in diameter.

I stocked the shop with Moore hand tools and have been happy with durability with student use. My personal hand tools are a mix. I started out with Moore small jacks and tweezers (1989). Then went to Carlo cup jacks and medium tweezers (reworked the tips). Now I have and love the Moore goblet jacks, a bit pricey but worth it. Putsch Maniconi diamond shears and 60mm straight shears (reground tip profile) have been great. I finished out with a pair of Moore cup shears. Jeff of Cutting Edge graciously allowed me to try a pair of his goblet jacks but I found them to be too stiff and the blades too thick.

While I rarely use my Carlo cup jacks now a good friend has a pair of the mediums and large. The mediums are nice and I prefer them over Moores but the large are large and heavy and I like the Moores here. The school also has a pair of the Moore cup jacks but the goblets are worth the extra $100.

I have used friends' Dino jacks (most sizes) and tweezers over the years and wish I would have bought some when they were still available. Anyone have some for sale?!

Well that is enough 2 cents for now. We have some other tools in the shop but I would like to hear others opinions.

Thanks,

Warren