View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Virgil Jones is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your response, Pete.

First I will say that I did not bring it the public forum...I woke up this morning to find Steve's comments:
"The E.C. pots would come with a layer of slip smeared over the entire pot to hide defects like lip dings and hairline cracks in the potwall, the large sizes were especially bad. Les at High Temp will simply not allow it. If a pot is bad in any way they will not knowingly release it."
Having run tank furnaces for years and being new to freestanding pots with my new Stadelman furnace that was a comment that got my immediate attention.
In my discussion with you concerning the initial sighting of the crack you asked for pictures, which I sent to you. At running temp my camera couldn't catch it...possibly my photographic skills. At that time you said the horizontal line was a "batching line" and not to worry about it. You also said the vertical line might or might not be a problem for a long time. After running the new furnace for less than two months the vertical crack is very evident at any temp. In talking to Steve, he was surprised I was changing it before it actually leaked. My thoughts are that I can't afford surprises in the middle of production AND that you said it could go at any time (now or later), BUT, that it WOULD leak.
I will photograph the pot after I take it out of the furnace, which I'm in the process of doing today. I will send both you and Steve the Photos.
Let me say that I do appreciate both this forum and my new furnace. I will pursue the pot issue "off the air".
Thanks, Virgil

The only "camouflage" I ever see on EC pots is at the rims where they try to cover up small bite size munches in the lip Virgil. They irritate me because it doesn't make the "munch" go away. What should be happening there is that the "munch" shouldn't exist in the first place in my opinion and that trying to cover it up doesn't inspire much confidence either. EC however does not think that this is a serious problem and will not warranty it. I have yet to see a "munch" actually cause a failure of a pot.

I never know about cracks. EC takes the position that you need to inspect the pot extremely carefully when you receive it. Their position is that it may have been cracked in shipping. Maybe true, maybe not true. I can usually tell the difference between a shipping crack and a firing crack when the pot is new but once it has been run, it's impossible to say. Fine tooth comb inspection is really important.

My understanding regarding the pot you had in service is that it in fact never leaked which doesn't qualify as a defective pot from EC's point of view. I know this because I have tried to make claims on such issues in the past. I have seen hairline cracks in pots run for very long periods of time with no incident.

Even so, cracks happen and cracks happening early should be dealt with through a complaint process. Steve tells me that he asked for photos and he never received any from you. Without photos, nothing is going to happen. At this point, I doubt that anything will happen since too much time has passed, the pot doesn't seem to be leaking, You can certainly E mail me photos of the pot, with a complaint and I will take it to EC and give it my best representation.

Bringing it to a public forum is not particularly helpful.

I would like to make it clear that I have never seen EC try to cover up a crack of any substance. They cover little ones on the lip and that irritates me to no end. Further, they don't seem to have real difficulties with pots smaller than 19 inch in diameter. Yours I believe was a 16 inch. They do seem to have some issues with voids in their castings which is why we have been talking about the superiority of the castings at High Temp.

I am trying to introduce a product that I believe is superior in its castings and firings in every way. We have worked long and hard on this and are well pleased with the results. We are offering what I believe to be a superior product at a lower price. That I think should be viewed as a good thing but not as an opportunity to attack EC. EC has issues, LaClede certainly has issues. Ipsen had issues.Corhart has issues. I am sure that High Temp will have issues. For years, EC was the low cost alternative to LaClede. They have certainly gotten more expensive in a relatively short period of time. I am offering an alternative to that. There are people who are totally committed to La Clede and there are people who are totally committed to EC. There are people who hate all of them. They all try, some do better than others at one time or another. Life goes on. These are crucibles for melting glass and are frequently abused badly by the users. If I can find evidence that the user didn't bash the pot, I try to represent that to the manufacturer. It's one of the advantages of buying the pot through me. At that point you have a track record. When you buy direct, you pay the same price but you are on your own if there is a problem. It's up to the consumer as to how they want to proceed.

But I don't believe EC is fatally flawed at all. I just have a new alternative.[/quote]