View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Jones View Post
Being a complete novice to pots, I donít know what is passable and what is not. At this point I guess I need an education. I prefer that education to cost me as little production time as possible.

As I inspect the three new pots again.

A revision in the previous post: The pots seem to have slip on spots on the top and the lower inside has kind of a swirl affect and rumply bottoms. I donít know if this is part of the casting process or post casting. I thought the swirl affect was the slip covering talked about earlier, but, might have assumed to quickly.

What are the black spots surrounded by a brown halo imbedded on the inside of the pots? Is this a problem?

One pot has a pencil mark on the outside leading to the lip. On the inside corner of the lip from that pencil line there is an approx. half by eighth inch spot that that looks like it is ready to chip out. Is this a problem?

On another pot there is a very tiny crack on the top of the pot, by the inside wall. It travels that corner approx. 1/8 to a ľ inch. Touching that crack and going about 1 ľ inches down inside the pot is a raised rough line. Is this a problem?

Thanks for your help and patience.
Virgil

The black spots are not unusual in a crucible. They will not affect performance.

EC puts the slip on to cover cosmetic blemishes on the pot and sometimes to cover non consequential chips at the lip area. This irritates me to no end. As long as they are confined to the lip they are not an issue.

It is not possible to put the slip on a crack and to sucessfully cover a crack. You will still see the crack if one exists. Putting the slip over such a thing is stupid and doesn't work. I really don't see junk like that as frequently as this thread might suggest.

The entire pot is not covered with slip. The slip is a noticably different shade of white. It was added after the pot was fired. You can't miss it.

The thing ready to chip out will not be a problem.

The rumply bottom is part of the casting process.

When you get the pot out of the furnace that has the running crack in it, take a good photo of it and I will represent you to EC. Again, they don't respond well to cracks but we can try. The photo has to be good or it is a total waste of time. One of the troubles with trying to do this is that the time track on the pot gets lost easily. The pot in question could have been shipped to Steve last year and sat around. Then it goes out with your furnace . More time passes. Then there are problems and I file a complaint. EC asks where the pot came from. Who Knows? Again this doesn't happen all that often. With High Temp we are getting superior castings.

Steve and I have worked out a way to keep track of the pots. Now he writes on the pot the invoice number that was tied to the pot. That way we know its history. Its a live and learn process.