Thread: Blue Sulphur
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Paul Stout is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the heads up on the calcium.
Regarding Moles, Ive read a chapter in a chemistry book about moles and will have to read it a dozen more times to see how I could actually use the information. I kind of get the idea but not so much that I can make use of it yet. Ill study it more.
I agree that the presence of so much alkali could present a problem. This is probably the first hurdle: how to sufficiently acidify the glass.
regarding the elemental sulfur I thought it was yellow also but according to Weyl:"Polysulfides as a rule are stable only in alkaline media and decompose fairly rapidly when the medium is acidified. If acid is poured into a polysulfide solution the decomposition leads to hydrogen sulfide and elementary sulfur. the latter aggregates, leading to colloidal and macroscopic particles. The same phenomenon can be observed in glasses if a polysulfide containing melt is mixed with a strongly acidic oxide, such as B2O3 or P2O5." and later "This blue color, being due to elementary sulfur, cannot be obtained in glasses which contain major amounts of zinc, cadmium or other ions of heavy metals with an affinity for sulfur." He does not explain how much the medium needs to be acidified or if the polysulfides form again if re-exposed to an alkali media.