View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 12:13 AM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
The size of pot you are talking about would use 4 12" moly's hanging from the crown down, they probably (but not always) should be above the potline, They cost $150.00 each.

The K.W. draw would be 10 (roughly) and the unit would run off of a 50 amp 240 volt breaker.

Yes the variable transformer approach is the best you can do. Yes since this is a secondary unit you can get away with shutting it down whenever you want and yes there are alot of ways to skin a cat.

You CAN melt batch in a wire melter but it will reduce the life of the elements, since you know how to make your own, and can do so cheaply, you are in a really good spot.

Most folks who start this line of queationing are talking about this being their ONLY melter and want to know how it should be done with no knowledge of watt loading, power supplies, or cooking times or temperatures for cullet or batch.

That is O.K. and since we seldom know where a person is in their knowledge base it is really easy to throw out lots of answears and opinions.

All that said, do anything that you can to keep batch and it's dust off of the elements, check out Kurt Walrath's setup, and where is Parker Stafford anyway?

If you keep the temp as low as possible to both fine out the batch in a reasonable time, and keep the elements alive you will do O.K.

I have heard of folks fining out Spruce as low as 2200f your results may vary, and that will take alot of time, I don't know how much.

I have never said that moly is the only way to go, it is not the cure-all to everything and I was just as fascinated as anyone else to hear Hugh Jenkins talk about recuperation. Again, there are alot of ways to skin a cat, but I firmly believe that for the investment, my way is very, very good in the long run.