View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I run back to your post #15.In that post you refer to the standard E&T calcs and at the same time try to attach actual measured calculations and then refer to 96 color rod measurements. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Reasonably speaking a lot can be learned here from a simple pull test. If you have a bench torch for lamp work, take a cane of each glass about the diameter of a pencil and heat them in that torch. when they're both hot enough to stick to each other, overlap each rod on the other about an inch. Heat them and slowly work them until the have really melted together. Then pull out of the flame and holding each rod with equal pressure, quickly pull them away from each other and hold them in tension until they're cool. PULL STRAIGHT. This may require some practice. Cut the pulled cane in the torch from either rod, the clear or the opal. If over 12 inches of run, there is a gap of 1/2 inch or more measured against a straight surface , it's clearly incompatible BUT the important thing about this test is you can sight down the thread and see which one is on the inside. The one on the inside has a higher expansion.

I don't like this test but you need something here to get you to stop going all over creation with your quest. This test really does work with glasses of similar structure and it can be quite deceptive with dissimilar glasses BUT, it will show you a path as to which one needs work. If you're fortunate, it will get you to where you can do a ring test and that really helps define the adjustment.

Actually matching the phosphate to cristalica should not be all that hard but I think you're making it hard. Stop trying to use E&T if you're going to also compare them to measured expansions as well.