View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 01:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
well, the actuality of it all was that not a lot of people knew how to make good glass. here was West Virginia and all that know-how and the attitude was never to ask them about anything. I always had a sense that it somehow violated the university sense of superiority as to how the material was treated. For Harvey and the whole first and second wave bunch- they thought they were special and needed to remain aloof. The name "bubble Chaser" was heard a lot. Having that big tank of glass thrown out was indicative of inability really.

Rob Adamson told me at one point when I was leaving Pilchuck that once upon a time there, it was really trying to learn and innovate on the basic level as well as the aesthetic one but it was cast aside. He loaded all the supplies from the dormant batchroom into my van and said it would never be missed. I think that was, and likely still is true. Once the first loads of Kugler came in at RISD, any interest in making decent glass stopped. There was no research into whether it fit anything and it was quite tolerant , given the lead content on most rod- not all as I'm cited before.

So, usage of batch materials was relegated for the most part to the private studios that were entreprenurial. Shops like Orient and Flume, Lundberg, Neurot. The Rocky Mts became the bastion of grinding and polishing mid '70's and all were derided by the schools with the exception of Penland and Alfred. When we put out the call for papers for the Hot Glass Information Exchange in 78, we sent that to every known Glass facility in the United States and only two schools responded to a direct call to share in the technical aspects of running a studio out of all of them. They again were Penland and Alfred. Both had representatives at one of the more interesting events I've ever participated in. For the schools, we were treated like lepers. .

Zimmermann made some phenomenal colors but had great difficulties with recurring stones and cords. Kugler danced around them with quality but never had the robust color Zimmermann had. The notion of expansion and adjusting for it really started with a Paul Manners article in '74 in Glass magazine and it was limited in scope as well as having some truly fatal assumptions about sources for factors. Those assumptions were reprinted in Glassnotes 3 which helped canonize bad info which was removed in Glassnotes4. Even today, it just amazed me how much poor information lurks in the various studios out there. I could go on and on but people tire of it. There's gobs of bad information out there today.