View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
One of the problems that you are going to run into is simply mass. The size of the objects that you are trying to make is going to cause a lot of heat retention, so crashing the kiln efficiently is going to be a problem. Considering that your test block had devit, then you're probably not going to have a great work around with the base spruce.

Pete would have better knowledge about casting batches. The glass is out there so there must be a batch recipe somewhere. I just thumbed through Hellmers' and didn't see any casting references.

You're probably going to experience some devit with the bullseye, especially if you are not using billets. The more surface area the more possibility for dirt and imperfections, and you increase the potential for the crystals to start forming.

It's properties are also really developed with fusing in mind as well, so it's missing the major characteristic of low viscosity at low temp. You'll have the same issues if you try to use anything from Spectrum/Oceanside.

I've personally not used it yet, but the Gaffer is the only readily available casting glass that I know of anymore that is in high demand. The production backlog may put the squeeze on you. Reichenbach is also available, but I've never seen anyone use it, and I personally think the gaffer pallet is nicer.

On an aside, if all your wanting is spheres, and you have access to a shop, why cast? I remember helping on a roughly 10" sphere at a Scotty D workshop a number of years back. It was a heavy bastard, 42lb if memory serves, but it can be done.