View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
I'll ask some questions in line to your post...

Gotta run for the moment. Hit me with more questions and I'll try to dig out a list of the past posts here that might help. As Eben points out, we're in full on hurricane prep and I'll get to all that when I can.
Sorry that I forgot you are from Florida...stay safe!

OK, first off, no manufactured batch is going to work for phosphates because the calcium content is too high. It's the calcium that turns it into chunky style sandpaper.
I was hoping to send your latest formula to a batch maker and have them do a custom run (perhaps sans the STP). I just don't have much space to store bulk chemicals. Montana would actually be a good environment as we are very dry here. This is definitely plan B for me. I was looking for permission or to request an intellectual right percentage be established for you with East Bay. Jim mentioned this would be done for Pete's base clear. Sounds like there may still need to be some tweaking though based on the furnace...not a one off formula (addressed below).

Second, It's just not that tough to mix small runs of batch for color. An inexpensive digital scale, a 5 gallon pail and a paint mixer on a drill work great for mixing 10-15 pounds of batch. Check your moisture contents of your materials and either compensate on your calculations or bake it out in the oven in baking dishes. Doing small batches makes the bake it out option a good one. More foolproof. You do need to be exacting on measurements due to the small batch size.
Agreed, I could do this if I had the space for all the ingredients. May go down this route in the future...Thanks for the tips.

From there you'll have to do a few throwaway runs in your melter to find out what expansion is going to be required for your melter. If you insist on using the throwaways you can add alkalais (1st column of periodic table) if you're low, just keep them off the pot walls until they melt in. If you're high you can try adding zinc or boric acid. You're limited on zinc because it goes opaque around 5-6% and boric acid sometimes makes bad cords.
This is the part the that surprises me...I've got a melter that easily goes to 2100...why would my melter need a slightly different mix than your melter to achieve a ~96 COE? Is this that..."doesn't cross the street" thing I keep reading about? What are good ballpark percentages to add (10 lb batch, a little low, add X% Na, K, Li)?

You'll want to track all of this on a spreadsheet. If you don't have one email me and I'll send you mine.
Will do...

Water on the batch not an absolute requirement, it just helps keep the dust down. A garden pump sprayer to spray it on the batch at the end of mixing, after it's for sure thoroughly mixed, is my weapon of choice.
Another great tip but I'd try without first as Pete suggests.